Angel Beats!

FadeToBlack91's avatar By FadeToBlack91 on Jul 5, 2012

ANGEL BEATS (Drama/Action/Comedy)

STORY 10/10

I think that angel beats's story is one of the most original, contorted and psychological I have ever seen. It has perfect mix of deep, sad and funny moments, in which the spectator can live a lot of various emotions...It's immersive and well structured, and it developes in a costant way during all the episodes, without useless breaks or stalls...The ending, that is the 13rd episoded is an epical spannung of emotions and tears...yes, I admit it, watching the last episodes and the last scene between Yuzuru and Kanade I cried like a child. So, i totally loved this story, probably the main great feaures of this beautiful Anime.

ANIMATION 9/10

Animation are really good, characters's style is beautiful to see, and the animations are fluid and well colored. It's a very good product even in this features, perfectly harmonized with the years of production

SOUND 9.5/10

This Anime's Soundtrack is almost a masterpiece, the opening theme is beautiful and sweet as the character of Kanade (even her name "kanade" means "sing a song" or "beautiful melody") and even the soundtracks during the scenes are very good.

CHARACTERS 9.5/10

In this Anime I could find almost all the kind of characters I have found in all the anime I saw until now. Thanks to this beautiful story this anime was able to develope a lot of interesting kind of characters, starting from Otonashi and Kanade, the strong but sensitive leader Yurippe, the loyal Hinata, the exuberant but sad Yui...etc...

OVERALL 9.5/10

Yes, i can admit that Angel Beats is a masterpiece, the story is deep and full of emotions, the animation's and soundtrack's quality is very high, and I really loved almost all the characters presented...without forget that the final made me cry like a child, so...yes, I really loved this Anime, and it has all the right numbers to become one of my top10 favourite Anime of ever!

9.5/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
eekamo's avatar By eekamo on Feb 16, 2012

Overall: 9.8/10

It’s show’s like Angel Beats! that make me love this genre. Only through Anime could you convey so much childish wonder and fun with the more mature themes of death, fulfillment and finality. This anime is about the world’s harsh realities and making sense of them. It comes from a place of pain, frustration and anger, but ultimately reconciles itself with hope.

Sound: 7/10

Just like Haruhi Suzumiya, music plays a large role in Angel Beats!, and the audience walks away with a few catchy, original tunes. Good stuff, but nothing mind blowingly brilliant.

The voice-acting on the dub was fine, for me, though I’m sure the Japanese actors would have been more authentic. I dug it though; the voice actors seemed sincere.

Animation: 9/10

The animating was modern and sleek, the colors were vibrant, that was all there. I originally wanted to give this category an 8/10 since I’m not a fan of the overly stylized eyes (yes, a hallmark of anime, but sometimes too much is too much... at least it wasn’t Clannad). However, I bumped it up to a 9 because of the level of detail on the guns and the factories. I have to hand it to them, as a non-gun expert, I’d say they seem to have done their research pretty well.

Characters: 9/10

Look, it’s 9/10 because there were a few characters I wish I had gotten to know better. Shiina, the ninja girl who risks her life for cute things, for example. What was her deal? I would have loved to learn her back story - but the details are scant.

But the character development for the major characters was fantastic. I loved the back stories because, although they were almost impossibly tragic, many of these stories have taken place in the real world. It’s sobering to have it presented in an anime, and it’s refreshing the way the characters grow from and come to terms with their circumstances.

While some characters blended traits together, they all remained individual, both main characters and supporting characters. They all had their unique, quirky traits that made them interesting and funny. It’s hard to strike the balance, but the creators of Angel Beats! did it.

I mean, come on! A computer nerd who demands he be called “Christ”? Hilarious.

Story: 10/10

I am totally and completely in love with the story. It’s Peter Pan and the Lost Boys with a lot of guns, even more swag, and INFINITE LIVES! It’s basically the ultimate video game. The child in me was thrilled at the prospect of a limbo filled with friends and the ability to create anything I wanted to fight the system. At the beginning of every episode I was eager to see new pranks and plot turns, my mind racing with what I would do, if I had unlimited freedom and resources. And that’s what a good story does; it gives you a world that your mind can run amok in.

The beauty of Angel Beats! is that it’s not just all fun in games. Intertwined with humor, affection, and camaraderie are some serious personal hurdles that each character has to come to face. Without giving away too much, it’s safe to say that tragedy and affliction has touched the lives of the characters in this story. Their stoicism and forgiveness ultimately taught me a lot about the events in my life, how I reacted to them, and what I held dearest.

The raw energy and magnetism of the final scenes still warm my heart even at their memory. The longing, sadness, and emptiness was terrifying, just as much as the final resolution left a sense of peace and acceptance.

Ultimately, the world that Angel Beats! is set in is one of a giving and loving universe, the journey through which we’ve only just begun.

stephanie1x2's avatar By stephanie1x2 on Aug 18, 2014

imagine you just woke up in a unfamiliar place with no memories at all and out of nowhere a girl is sitting in front of you with a gun and asks if you want to join their group...... welcome to the live of Yuzuru Otonashi.....

story: Otonashi ends up in the afterlife that appears to be a regular school campus. Of course refusing to believe that he is dead (like any normal person would do) he completely denies it.No memories of his past he finds himself at a difficult situation. Soon after he meet `Angel` the person who will make it very clear to him that he is indeed dead. Soon after he joins the SS a group of people that try to stop themselves from moving on in any way possible.
The story is amazing. At first i already found the comedy used in this serie hilarious and as i continued i realised how deep this story really was. The drama in angel beats made me cry in several occasions and the story was interesting enough for me to want to keep watching episode by episode. However i think the romance genre was a little forced for some characters. Although some characters were really fitting for the role some of the more important characters i felt were a little bit forced together.

Art:
great art style..... the colours used are really vibrant and there is plenty of details to be found :). It really lived up to the animation used at that time.

sound: I loved the opening as well as the ending. I thought the opening was catchy sweet and i personally love the band that recording the songs used in this serie `girls dead monster` The ending really moved me and the music went really well with the ending scene as it was sad and relative

character:
I love how deep they go into a lot of the characters back story etc however some characters are left out and you don't get to much about at all. I am aware that its only a 13 episode serie so you cant fit it all in but that was slightly disappointing. I think some of the personalities used also could have used slightly more development.

overall:
i loved angel beats it is one of my favourite anime series because it made me laugh,cry and want more right until the end.

This is a great serie with great use of drama,comedy and a slightly failed romance aspect. I definitely recommend watching this... its original,awesome and one of the best series i have ever seen.

Eclypse95's avatar By Eclypse95 on Apr 26, 2012

I love this anime and I felt very bad when i finished it. The history is simply incredible.

The history of the series begins abruptly when the girl wakes Otonashi Yuzuru forgetful on the ground at night, along with Yuri Nakamura, a girl armed with a rifle and alot of skills, which invites you to enlist in the "Shinda Sekai Sensen''. Otonashi discovers that he is dead and is in a school which is a kind of purgatory as a place between Heaven and Earth, finds further that the Battle of Front Yurippe group is a kind of rebellion against God, because members , who all died young, believe that their lives were not fair and do not want to simply accept a reincarnation or eternal rest. And that's still confused, the young man agrees to join the group, whose main enemy is the student council president, who believe being an angel. Later they ... To find out, you must to see.

Description: In a world after death, angels and persons fight for their fate and their future. Yuri, the leader of the Shinda Sekai Sensen, rebels against the god...

The sound : Its lovely .... I think its awesome.

MainCharacters:

Yuzuru Otonashi-Otonashi is the main protagonist of Angel Beats!. Due to his past, he has a caring personality and does not want anyone to experience pain or sadness. After dying, he lost is memories of the time when he was still alive , later he regains is memories...He had a younger sister, Hatsune  who died of an illness and who he cared for very much. When she died, he decided to go to school to become a doctor, but died in a train accident before he could take the entrance exam to college.

Yuri Nakamura- has a determined personality but is secretly very sensitive and protective. She invites Otonashi to join the SSS, an organization she founded and leads which fights against God.She is smart and decisive when making operations and decisions.She vowed to fight against God after her three younger siblings were murdered by burglars looking for valuables when she was alive and never forgave herself for failing to prevent their deaths.

Angel- Real name Kanade is the student council president at the afterlife school. She is personally dedicated to helping others overcome their regrets and pass on. However, she often lacks a proper understanding of others, as she never thinks to try to explain to the SSS why she was doing what she did.Despite her gentle demeanor and small frame, she is incredibly powerful and near indestructible to the point of ejecting bullets out of her wounds during battle.She creates her powers known as "guard skills" via a computer program called Angel Player.

Aureolux's avatar By Aureolux on Mar 6, 2011

It'd be hard to find another title in recent memory that tries to do quite as much as Angel Beats!. Creator Jun Maeda of Clannad and Air fame put in great effort to make the show function on multiple levels, and it really broadens the appeal far beyond that of the other Key IPs. In doing so, however, he spread himself too thin, and the show struggles to find its voice by the end of the series' diminutive 13 episode length.

The concept is suitably interesting - the entirety of the show takes place in purgatory, which functions as an extremely useful device for running gags involving the characters' inability to die. Otonashi, our amnesiac protagonist, wakes in the middle of a showdown between the organization SSS and a stoic young girl codenamed Angel. After being skewered, discovering his effective immortality, and being coerced into joining SSS, Otonashi embarks on the show's main journey - to discover why he has been born into this world, and to decipher the mysteries behind Angel, the supposed right hand of God.

Unfortunately, the journey is a bit rocky. While the series' heart is in the right place, it never really hits its stride because of constant shifts in focus. Especially towards the end, every episode seems to introduce some kind of new plot device before the previous one has reached any kind of closure. The most frustrating part is that literally any one of these devices could have been fleshed out into an interesting show. At first there's the rebellion and discovery theme, then there's a focus on learning each of the characters' stories and resolving their dilemmas, then suddenly there are a bunch of shadow creatures attacking... it's not that these ideas are poorly explained, because they're not. It's just that by the time you start to understand the intricacies of the situation, the focus immediately shifts to another idea entirely. The ending was also relatively unfulfilling, as it simply tosses aside most of the cast and wraps up sob-story style with a plot-hole-filled finale.

There are a lot of things that Angel Beats! does right, however. The comedy is particularly well done, striking enough diverse notes that almost any viewer should find something at which to laugh. The insert song performances, although not to my tastes, certainly add variety to the show. At its best, the drama is very compelling, and what few actions scenes do appear are exciting to watch. With this level of quality in so many areas, it's no wonder that this show became popular with such a wide audience; it's just a shame that the core plot, which should have been the string stitching these pieces together, was a little too weak.

Animation:

Finally, a new show which actually shows off the capabilities of modern technology! The characters are beautifully designed, and the backdrops are bursting with detail. Action scenes look fantastic, and there's a lot of subtle flourish in even the most mundane of moments. It's not drop-dead beautiful, but there is very little to be desired in the smooth and detailed animation of Angel Beats!.

Sound:

Lia's OP actually flows quite well and is one of the better themes I've heard in recent memory. The voice actors match their characters and pull off a convincing performance, and the sound effects and background music are suitable, if somewhat forgettable. Also of note in Angel Beats! are the performances by the in-show band Girls Dead Monster, which don't reach the level of such famous inserts as Haruhi 's "God Knows..." but are still an enjoyable listen.

Angel Beats! has a huge cast of characters, spanning a gamut of traits far beyond the normal clichés which frequently populate anime casts. From T.K., speaker of cryptic English phrases, to shirtless sensation Takamatsu, each of the characters actually feels different, which is a feat considering their number and how short the show is. Unfortunately, not all of the characters see the development they deserve. While the core cast is smothered in backstory and a hint of character development (if anything, I'd argue some characters like Yui see too much development), much of the cast remains shrouded in mystery to the very end, whereupon they vanish without a trace after some hand waving. What's the deal with Noda? Why is T.K. so awesome? You sure won't know by the end of this. It's certainly no deal breaker, and it'd be naïve to expect every side character to be fleshed out, but the show lost a lot of taste by trimming the fat off of the meat.

Overall:

Considering the broad appeal, it goes without saying that almost any anime fan can enjoy this show. The comedy by itself is enough for me to recommend it, but I urge prospective viewers to be cautious not to overanalyze it. This is a show that is much better when you watch it with your brain turned off.