Angel Beats!

thor123's avatar By on May 21, 2015

For me, this was an enjoyable anime. It brings sadness and laughs, and in combination with some action this was a good mix imo. There are some people who say they didn't like this "mixing of genres", because "the show doesn't know what it wants to be", but i disagree. It's a show about life (and death) itself, so I find it quite logical that there are happy/funny moments as well as sad moments.

Story: The plot is definitely not the strongest point of the show. The premise is quite interesting (i like stories about the afterlife) and the idea of fighting an angel to meet God is good too. However, the characters often do some quite random things that don't seem to fit their "ultimate goal"; aka opposing God himself. It also feels quite rushed at times, because it's only 13 episodes (a little more might have been nice). Aside from that, there are some major plot holes: (spoilers) where does Naoi's hypnotism come from? How can they just reprogram earth to become weapons? How can Tenshi (the angel) use software to create weapons? Is there something beyond the boundaries of the schoo?(end of spoilers).

The show sometimes creates more questions than it answers, and thus it might be best to just go with the flow and not think about it too much.

Animation: very good, everything looks pretty. The quality has been taken down a bit for comedy purposes at some times, but that didn't really disturb me.

Sound: I really liked the songs (OP,ED, and the songs in the episodes). The voice acting and other sound effect were good too.

Characters: The cast is relatively small, because most people in their world are NPCs.  Some characters were fleshed out really well, making them very interesting. However, half the cast got barely any attention and thus it felt like the world was even more empty.

Overall: it was a good watch, watch it if you like both comedy and drama.

7.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
PapaGandalf's avatar By on May 12, 2015

This anime has a great story behind it.

The way in which the main character is incorperated into the story is done really well unlike some anime's where they just throw them in and expect you to like them.

The backstory for the character in the story fits well, it also allows you to feel more sympathetic to some character.

overal its a good anime with a nice setting between the life and death of students and them getting over the lives they wanted and never got.

7.5/10 animation
7.5/10 sound
7.5/10 characters
7.7/10 overall
FukasakiSento's avatar By on May 11, 2015

物語はとても感動的であるので、私は見てこのアニメは価値があると思います~~!TT

ganon11000's avatar By on May 10, 2015

A great anime that has a lot of feels.

I'll give the feels warning now: I cried while watching this.
This anime has a really interesting concept behind it. It is not very predictable and is quite dark. I really enjoyed watching it, even the sad parts.
Watched up to: Episode 13 (all)
Animation (20%): Great. I did not notice anything to complain about. (90/100)
Story (35%): As said above; It is an interesting concept that was well executed and enjoyable to watch.(95/100)
Characters (35%): All the characters are good. The main characters are all likeable / relatable and have good back-story. (95/100)
Music (10%): Great ... The music in the sad moments really brings out those tears! (90/100)
Fan Service (0%): None / Low. I didn't notice anything obvious.
Would I Recommend: Yes. As said before; be prepared for a feels ending!

18% + 33.25% + 33.25% + 9% = 93.5% = 9/10, 5/5

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
9.4/10 overall
eirasaur's avatar By on May 6, 2015

Episodes are running smoothly from the start, really like the fight scenes and all. But I just don't like the ending it's quite frustrating and pointless for me.