Angel Beats!

Wanginator's avatar By on Aug 25, 2010

There is so much to this series that my brain can't quite wrap itself around, and usually that's a bad thing for an anime. But this is different. By the end of the anime, I was left with so many positive, juicy, warm and fuzzy emotions that I can't even begin to list them all. I think part of it was my compassion for the main characters and their respective pasts, and an equal part of it was the way those characters overcame their problems by the end of the series. By the end of the series I was nearly in tears, and I'm not going to try to explain why, because I simply can't with words alone.

The unfortunate thing about this series is that those juicy warm and fuzzy moments in the anime are hidden under a HUGE amount of plot twists, decor, icing, misleading trails, and other extra stuff that will ultimately seem to have no relation to the main plot, if one can even guess what the main plot is early on.

And the even sadder thing is that many viewers will likely drop the series because of these things.

All I can say is DON'T. Stick through it. Things may not make much sense around episode 8 or 9, but they will by the end. Just keep an open mind all the way to the end. Even if you don't react as strongly to the ending as I did, I can almost guarantee you'll feel something, and it'll probably be a positive, warm and fuzzy feeling.

FadeToBlack91's avatar By on Jul 5, 2012

ANGEL BEATS (Drama/Action/Comedy)

STORY 10/10

I think that angel beats's story is one of the most original, contorted and psychological I have ever seen. It has perfect mix of deep, sad and funny moments, in which the spectator can live a lot of various emotions...It's immersive and well structured, and it developes in a costant way during all the episodes, without useless breaks or stalls...The ending, that is the 13rd episoded is an epical spannung of emotions and tears...yes, I admit it, watching the last episodes and the last scene between Yuzuru and Kanade I cried like a child. So, i totally loved this story, probably the main great feaures of this beautiful Anime.

ANIMATION 9/10

Animation are really good, characters's style is beautiful to see, and the animations are fluid and well colored. It's a very good product even in this features, perfectly harmonized with the years of production

SOUND 9.5/10

This Anime's Soundtrack is almost a masterpiece, the opening theme is beautiful and sweet as the character of Kanade (even her name "kanade" means "sing a song" or "beautiful melody") and even the soundtracks during the scenes are very good.

CHARACTERS 9.5/10

In this Anime I could find almost all the kind of characters I have found in all the anime I saw until now. Thanks to this beautiful story this anime was able to develope a lot of interesting kind of characters, starting from Otonashi and Kanade, the strong but sensitive leader Yurippe, the loyal Hinata, the exuberant but sad Yui...etc...

OVERALL 9.5/10

Yes, i can admit that Angel Beats is a masterpiece, the story is deep and full of emotions, the animation's and soundtrack's quality is very high, and I really loved almost all the characters presented...without forget that the final made me cry like a child, so...yes, I really loved this Anime, and it has all the right numbers to become one of my top10 favourite Anime of ever!

9.5/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
ChefSwifty's avatar By on Feb 18, 2015

This will be short. I personally thought the ending was a little bit rushed. Maybe if this was a 24 episode series it would work out better. There needed to be a little bit more character development between Tachibana and Otonashi.

9.5/10 animation
9.3/10 overall
Gokenama's avatar By on Jul 11, 2012

Angel beats gave me a different anime feel than most, Starting out with him being dropped off with amnesia, To him making friends with the so called 'Enemy' And doing many more, So many flashbacks/Things that made me sad, Then with the great ending..That more or less made me cry, Since you just gave up almost ALL the characters you learnt to love.

Aureolux's avatar By on Mar 6, 2011

It'd be hard to find another title in recent memory that tries to do quite as much as Angel Beats!. Creator Jun Maeda of Clannad and Air fame put in great effort to make the show function on multiple levels, and it really broadens the appeal far beyond that of the other Key IPs. In doing so, however, he spread himself too thin, and the show struggles to find its voice by the end of the series' diminutive 13 episode length.

The concept is suitably interesting - the entirety of the show takes place in purgatory, which functions as an extremely useful device for running gags involving the characters' inability to die. Otonashi, our amnesiac protagonist, wakes in the middle of a showdown between the organization SSS and a stoic young girl codenamed Angel. After being skewered, discovering his effective immortality, and being coerced into joining SSS, Otonashi embarks on the show's main journey - to discover why he has been born into this world, and to decipher the mysteries behind Angel, the supposed right hand of God.

Unfortunately, the journey is a bit rocky. While the series' heart is in the right place, it never really hits its stride because of constant shifts in focus. Especially towards the end, every episode seems to introduce some kind of new plot device before the previous one has reached any kind of closure. The most frustrating part is that literally any one of these devices could have been fleshed out into an interesting show. At first there's the rebellion and discovery theme, then there's a focus on learning each of the characters' stories and resolving their dilemmas, then suddenly there are a bunch of shadow creatures attacking... it's not that these ideas are poorly explained, because they're not. It's just that by the time you start to understand the intricacies of the situation, the focus immediately shifts to another idea entirely. The ending was also relatively unfulfilling, as it simply tosses aside most of the cast and wraps up sob-story style with a plot-hole-filled finale.

There are a lot of things that Angel Beats! does right, however. The comedy is particularly well done, striking enough diverse notes that almost any viewer should find something at which to laugh. The insert song performances, although not to my tastes, certainly add variety to the show. At its best, the drama is very compelling, and what few actions scenes do appear are exciting to watch. With this level of quality in so many areas, it's no wonder that this show became popular with such a wide audience; it's just a shame that the core plot, which should have been the string stitching these pieces together, was a little too weak.

Animation:

Finally, a new show which actually shows off the capabilities of modern technology! The characters are beautifully designed, and the backdrops are bursting with detail. Action scenes look fantastic, and there's a lot of subtle flourish in even the most mundane of moments. It's not drop-dead beautiful, but there is very little to be desired in the smooth and detailed animation of Angel Beats!.

Sound:

Lia's OP actually flows quite well and is one of the better themes I've heard in recent memory. The voice actors match their characters and pull off a convincing performance, and the sound effects and background music are suitable, if somewhat forgettable. Also of note in Angel Beats! are the performances by the in-show band Girls Dead Monster, which don't reach the level of such famous inserts as Haruhi 's "God Knows..." but are still an enjoyable listen.

Angel Beats! has a huge cast of characters, spanning a gamut of traits far beyond the normal clichés which frequently populate anime casts. From T.K., speaker of cryptic English phrases, to shirtless sensation Takamatsu, each of the characters actually feels different, which is a feat considering their number and how short the show is. Unfortunately, not all of the characters see the development they deserve. While the core cast is smothered in backstory and a hint of character development (if anything, I'd argue some characters like Yui see too much development), much of the cast remains shrouded in mystery to the very end, whereupon they vanish without a trace after some hand waving. What's the deal with Noda? Why is T.K. so awesome? You sure won't know by the end of this. It's certainly no deal breaker, and it'd be naïve to expect every side character to be fleshed out, but the show lost a lot of taste by trimming the fat off of the meat.

Overall:

Considering the broad appeal, it goes without saying that almost any anime fan can enjoy this show. The comedy by itself is enough for me to recommend it, but I urge prospective viewers to be cautious not to overanalyze it. This is a show that is much better when you watch it with your brain turned off.