Angel Beats! Special

Alt title: Angel Beats! Stairway to Heaven

PurplePeopleEater's avatar By on Jul 30, 2015

I think someone confused tension with excitement since there wasn't really a lot of tension, just a lot of excitement or enthusiasm. So other than the fact that someone can't read a dictionary and understand what they read, it was good. It's a full length episode that fits somewhere in the middle of the show. The episode uses some new ideas to be funny instead of what was often used in the main series. The biggest issue I found was the animation. It's like when you try to use your camera and there is just too much light so you have this bright spot and everything else sort of fades a bit. It's interesting I suppose, since the two and a half minute special is darker than the series and this special is lighter than the series. Darker is better.

I was somewhat dissappointed as I had hoped one of the specials would continue the story a bit further or clear some things up, but it's not surprising that neither of them did. Oh well. If you watched the dubbed version of the series, this special and the other one are available on youtube dubbed. I didn't find them anywhere else, but if you look for them on youtube, they are there.

theSentinel's avatar By on May 26, 2013

this was just a filler episode that they created after the anime, but was timed somewhere in the middle.  I gave it a slightly reduced score for story, because This really should have been part of the series, and i gave the series a good score, but as a stand alone peice it was not bad at all.  It was really really funny, good to watch if you liked the series.

MugenNeS's avatar By on Dec 30, 2010

If you haven't watched this yet, when you do you'll burst into tears. This is possibly one of the funniest episodes in the series and should be deserving of a perfect 10, but I have my reasons as to why it didn't. So lets start there...

The story and plot to this particular episode was actually comical, but the animation and sound fell just a touch short for me. The characters however continued their hilarity and their idiocies that it felt as though it was a normal episode that should have been part of the series in stead of a stand alone special episode.

9.5/10 animation
9.9/10 sound
WolfAngelus's avatar By on Dec 16, 2015

Extremely funny episode where everything for the day has to be done in an "Extreme" way. It is impossible not to laugh and a great way to start an evening of enjoyment. A must watch for anyone who enjoyed the anime.

Gzerble's avatar By on Feb 26, 2015

OK, so this is just another silly episode of Angel Beats! where the focus is on humor. In retrospect, after seeing all the series, you can understand just how stupid most of the characters were acting anyhow, with all their silly plots and pointless antics... so here comes an episode that just goes over the top with it shamelessly.

This is without a doubt a filler episode that adds absolutely nothing to anything. It is also the single most juvenile thing in the Angel Beats! franchise. That being said, it is hilarious in the dumbest possible way.

The animation remains top notch, the sound is still fantastic all the way through. The "story" is a generic silly one that is just a setup for funny situations. The characters all act like a shounen version of themselves. It is simple, effective, and doesn't feel like a part of the main series at all.

So, if you liked Angel Beats! and want a stupid fluff episode, here you go. Turn your brain off and enjoy.