Akikan!

KiraRin's avatar By KiraRin on Jul 30, 2010

Ahh, Japan. You're built on a diet of raw fish, have a love of whaling and a seemingly unhealthy obsession with panties, but we love you anyways for your endless good ideas about anime. Unfortunately, it seems you've reached the bottom of the intellectual barrel and served up Akikan, a title whose name is as bizarre as the content is scummy.

Now, 'scum' may seem harsh, but cursory glance over the synopsis alludes to the tripe that lies within. Kakeru is a dislikeable and generally perverted youth who spends his days fantasising about finding a sexy girlfriend that he can get frisky with. Imagine his surprise when he finds himself locking lips with a mysterious beauty after taking a swig from a can of melon soda; or "her juice", a phrase that is filled with innuendo and used frequently throughout the series. Throw in a cliche childhood friend, and a nod to Bible Black with a highly oversexed witch, and Akikan's one unique selling point becomes moot. Roughly six minutes into episode 1, I realised just how bad the storyline was going to be.

Numerous canned beverages suddenly spring to busty life and battle it out to decide if steel or aluminum cans are the best in a desperately cobbled together plot. I shit you not. Akikan's ridiculous nature smears itself across your face frequently, such as Melon throwing giant exploding cataloupes at the sports drink, Yell's, light saber. Meanwhile, the previously mentioned witch has a compulsive disorder in which she needs to grope her naive friend, offering the yuri fanboys a distinctly unsatisfying spectacle that is more cringe than fap worthy.

As the dead dog drags itself to an unwelcome finale, episode 10 introducesy unnecessary filler; Melon and Yell perform house work, while the younger Budoku plays dress-up with stuffed toys for a completely unknown reason. Maybe I dozed off for a week, as the next episodes jump ahead in time to the introduction of Miku, a very weak mixed drink and the story's final boss. This “plot” part of the show is quickly wrapped up in forty minutes, leaving an extremely bitter aftertaste because of a lacklustre attempt to bring more panties to the viewer. Then again, why should I expect more when this is all Akikan has attempted (unsuccessfully) to offer?

One of the things that amused me the most (in a bad way) was Akikan’s animation. The wide character outlines - which appear to have been drawn with crayons - give the impression of an artistic team overflowing with ham-fistedness. Equally amusing is the interesting attempt at lip-synching; apparently having a characters mouth open and close in a way similar to a goldfish holds the key to realism. With mismatched eyes, distorted facial features and limbs without bones, the series' visual attributes does not fare well. To be honest, when a title earns a headline of “Epic Fail Anime” on Sankaku because of its animation skills (or lack thereof), then you know you are most definitely on to a loser.

Even having numerous ending tracks and a couple of opening tunes could not save what will probably become my most detested soundtrack of 2010. Jumping between overly sweetened fangirl style hits to a horrific sounding electronic Hatsune Miku, the lyrics are just as mind-numbing as the rest of the show. At least Akikan can be praised for its consistency.

Somehow, the delectable sounding Jun Fukuyama was railroaded into playing the detestable Kakeru - personally speaking, I think it was blackmail. Although he manages to pull off a sterling performance, the likability of the character combined with a script written by inmates on day release from the funny farm means this will not be one of his most memorable outings. Also worthy of a mention is the inexcusably un-evil protagonist, Miku. Where they dragged this seiyuu up from, I have no idea, but her maniacal laugh acts more like a sandpaper rubdown than a means to instill fear in her adversaries.

With Kakeru coming across as a dislikeable idiot, it is difficult to see why he would have numerous females throwing themselves at his feet... unless they are short on smarts. And judging from the apparent intelligence shown by Melon and childhood friend, Najimi, that most definitely seems to be the case. As each characters' deficiencies bubble to the surface, the distinct lack of development highlights the fact that there is a severe void in the personality department.

Out of the shallow roll call, only the yaoi obsessed Otoya shows occasional moments of potential. With his perverted moments infrequently filling the screen, it was a breath of fresh air for a running joke to not be wrung completely dry. Sadly, the leader of the Department for Economy has very little screen time, and the viewer must instead remain content with the vacuous bubbleheads that call themselves the “main cast”.

1.5/10 overall
killermouze's avatar By killermouze on Mar 22, 2010

"Daichi Kakeru is an openly perverted sixteen-year-old boy who has never had a girlfriend. One night, after a refreshing shower, Kakeru decides to have a drink and opens up a can of melon soda; but his first sip turns into his first kiss as the can suddenly transforms into a cute girl! After his initial hesitance to acknowledge her existence, Kakeru - as her new owner - names the girl Melon and allows her to stay. Melon, as it turns out, is part of a government project in which aluminium and steel 'Akikans' fight each other to determine which is the superior type of can. Completely against the idea, Kakeru insists that Melon will not fight. Though with the appearance of Budoko, a grape juice Akikan; and Yell, a sports-drink Akikan; it seems that they won’t be able to avoid the battles forever."

Short Review - Might expand later

I tend to not like writing reviews for shows that already have reviews. However, in this case I believe the guy who reviewed this anime before me is a 13 year old horn dog who thinks hentai is the best anime there is.

Story: 2

Basically is no story. Very episodic up to the 10th episode. Then they try and mash in a whole story arch in 2 episodes. I've never seen a show with worse pacing then this piece of shit. I'm giving this a two solely because one or two episodes kept me mildly entertained.

Animation: 7

What you would expected from a modern anime of this genre. Bright colors and large breast with alot of vag shots.

Sound: 5

Intro and ending song not to bad. The girls voices are still ringing in my head. I didn't know it was possible to have voices that high, or that whinny.

Characters: 4

The only reason why this got a 4 instead of a 1 is because the protagonist every ONCE in a while managed to do or say something funny. Everyone else was pretty one dimensional cliches.

Overall: 4

Overall for a horny 13 year old boys that can't find hentai on the web: 7

Frankly, this show was not the worse show I have ever scene, but it is bad enough to fail as an ecchi/harem, and thats saying something as it's targeted audience isn't exactly picky. I went in thinking this might  be a horrible, though slightly entertaining show. I finished it thinking it was a horrible show... with no entertainment value.

Avoid this shit.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Jan 18, 2012

Akikan, a show about girls popping of soda cans. Talk about hating it from the very description.

The trick is to know how to translate the symbolisms in these shows. They usually cloak their real meaning with silly premises to make the anime accessible to a wider audience. In this case we have magical girls who for some lame reason are trapped inside soda cans. The one who drinks one of those, frees the girl, who for some reason vows to be his servant. The lead male so happens to be collecting cans and one of them contains the lead girl. So… collections? Beautiful girls appearing out of nowhere and immediately becoming your servants? Is it me or is this like telling us to have a huge collection of figurines and sucking them daily in hopes of one of them coming to life and becoming our sex toy?

Anyways, every time someone drinks one of those cans, the girl is released and gives you a wet kiss … just like that. Yum, let’s go buy a million cans and keep kissing them, shall we?

Well, harems in general try to throw beautiful girls on the laps of sexless idiots and this show ranks amongst the most ridiculous excuses ever conceived. It even goes further by having those Akikan soda chicks to fight each other in a tournament in order for the most powerful to be the victor. Why? Just because; don’t try to reason with it.

Crapful premise aside, there actually is a story going on somewhere between those retarded moments. Half of the episodes are basically introducing the Akikans, getting to know them, and finally getting to see them fight. The other half are as expected brainless ecchi humor. But honestly, for a harem show that has a beginning, a climax and a somewhat ending, I am willing to give the Story the base score.

Now about the cast. All the characters are basically stereotypes, but for a harem show the scriptwriters tried to flesh them out at some points; something rarely seen in the genre. The lead had this traumatic encounter with terrorists, each Akikan has different fascination over her master and main rival. The end result is still quite sloppy but at least they tried. There is a whole episode dedicated to show them doing everyday simple things, with zero fan service or retarded action. For a 12 episode show based on ecchi, that needed balls to do. By the end of the show, all the main characters are not following the norm anymore and somewhat escape their mold.

Heck, the main male is actually quite bold and offensive when it comes to doing naughty things. He still chickens out the last moment and gets beaten and trashed by ravaged girls but still is not the typical super lame eunuch archetype. Plus it’s that thing with the terrorists and the murders, lol, what the heck was that? Stretch it a bit and everyone gets a somewhat similar immersion. Nothing major or ground breaking but it is there.

Still, all secondary characters are just present as superficial fill in for comedy. Gays and gigolos and busty lesbians, and spunky kawai lolis, and a bunch of other cardboard stereotypes are there only for flavor. Not that it would be better without them but they are terribly uninteresting, outside of ecchi humor.

Not the greatest cast ever seen in a harem but still more that cardboards. I give it a 6. It could be more without the retarded excuses for fruit battles and kissing to replenish magic energy.

The animation is pleasing without being exceptional. The amount of details and colors is rather standard for its age and even sloppy at many points, with some signs of deformity. The show has the courtesy to not go for a million pantsu shots per second or clothes made of paper. Fan service is mostly based on kisses, falling on someone, or just wearing swimsuits. Nothing too bold and offensive to the point of degrading the girls… too much.

Also, the characters are occasionally shown to make silly gestures and body poses that pass as innovation in a way. It makes the jokes better and the cast more likable by simply making them look lively. I give the animation a 7 just for that.

It still is poor if you try to compare it with high budgeted shows. The fighting scenes for example have really lame choreography and even feel sluggish. Seriously, what is there to expect from duals were the attacks have names like Melon Bomb or Sour Grape? Also, most special effects used are simplistic computer filters.

The music part needs its time to be likable. At first the squeaky voiced girls and the terrible OP and ED songs are making your teeth cringe. But after the more serious moments kick in, you get to listen to them from a more serious angle. Also, that dreadful ending song has several variations in the second half, with are far more likable than your first impression. Again, these minor details are what make the acoustic part more likable. Sound gets a 7.

And despite the rather positive take I have on a harem show, I still say it has little replay value. It’s not like you can’t get the same story elsewhere with more interesting presentation or better colorful characters (even Fate/Stay Night does a better job). But I will admit that for a harem specimen, it is half-good.

DeviantXAshelin's avatar By DeviantXAshelin on Feb 6, 2010

I think people are a little harsh on this anime, and who wouldn't be with a plot line like that. It's certainly bizarre and incoherent sounding, and hard to believe somebody actually came up with that. Yes you read the description and you know that yes indeed it is totally about soda drink cans. If you can get past the bizarre theme enough to actually give this anime a try you will come to find that this actually is a pretty funny, entertaining, perverted and at times touching anime.

The story follows a young high schooler named Kakeru that gets a surprise when he takes a sip of the Melon soda he bought from a vending machine. He receives his first kiss from a mysterious girl who transformed from a soda can. Thus the crazy ecchi Hi Jinks begin, and boy do I mean it when I say ecchi. The humor of the show revolves around sleazy jokes about sex, women, and often times masturbation. Not a show for the prudish. The show is also rather cliche ridden following the same time line of most shows of this genre. Although still proving to have some heart and at times making you feel bad for a soda can seriously making you reconsider recycling.

The only thing I can think of while watching Akikan is "zany", and that's just from looking at the animation. The art is very vivid and colorful and the drawing is almost like a through back of older animes. It is very pretty to look at indeed although there are ones that are better to gawk at. Speaking of gawking like most ecchi anime there are plenty of cute girls and there pantsu to oggle.

It's not abnormal for some anime but the characters can be rather loud and obnoxious at times. Mostly just kakeru ranting off about some perverted fantasy or making raunchy remarks.

The characters do pretty much fit the typical mold of ecchi. Pervert teen meets short tempered cutie with terrifying strength. The oblivious girl and her clingy friend, and the background character nobody listens to. But Akikan thrives on this, and makes it known that there cliches. The characters often find them selves in ecchi sticky situations constantly. For example the always needed "beach" or "pool" episode. Each one of them are perverted in there own way but always hypocritically getting after Kakeru for his shenanigans. I did get a kick out of the old guy who had a thing for young boys and his sexy semi insane sidekick/secretary.

Overall this anime I did enjoy but it's not for everyone. It's the type of show that you either love or you hate theirs not really any gray areas. If your into dirty jokes ecchi cute girls or anything in that area you may enjoy this. I got quite a few giggles out of this show and I know some of you will to!

jade161588's avatar By jade161588 on Dec 14, 2010

What can I say about this sad excuse for an Anime? Not much. This kind of Anime is why I believe that Japan is just running out of ideas. Let me try to sum it up what this is about in a simple sentence: Soda cans made of steel or aluminum fight to prove their superiority while learning about sex.

It's ridiculous. You take the standard "loser boy somehow ends up living with amazingly hot girl" storyline and just drive it in the mud and puke on it. "Akikan!" literally means "empty can" and in this story, a perverted high school boy named Daichi Kakeru comes into ownership of a melon soda can by buying her out of a vending machine. Upon drinking the can, she turns into a 'hot girl' clueless about the real world. Despite being clueless about the real world, she can somehow figure out what some perverted things mean sometimes and other times, she doesn't know what in the world she's talking about.

The episodes generally run without much linear storyline and lacks a great amount of character buildup. Kakeru, for example, end up going on dates with his classmate and Melon (his can). All other characters tend to be forced in. Yell, another soda can, is forced into the storyline to become Melon's rival and later friend. The show decided also to throw in a grape soda can in the form of a super-cute chibi, a super-busty lady with no real role in the storyline, her boss who is a governmental worker overseeing the cans fighting whilst sexually harassing Daichi, and some lesbian witch who randomly pops in during episodes to sexually harass Yell's owner.

The way the characters were drawn in the Anime served to be painful. The highlights and shadows seemed to be drawn on without much thought. The hair had no flow and no real shape to them. The clothes didn't make sense after the cans go 'in uniform'. Special effects were mundane and boring. It looks like someone who is new to photoshop and the pen tool decided to make an Anime. And while it may have taken them forever, the quality still sucks. However, I'm not going to say it's the worst I've seen. I can't think off the top of my head the worst drawn Anime, but with today's technology and resources available to present a 12-episode Anime, it should have been executed better.

It wasn't entertaining either. Whether it was because the storyline wasn't quite linear or because the graphics sucked or because the characters sucked, I don't know. It could be all three. This anime got boring real quick. The sexual puns couldn't even be considered amusing. People who made this tried too hard and failed.

I really can't say much for this Anime. I really can't. The only thing that it has going for it is its soundtrack and even that gets old after awhile. The soundtrack is limited and because the situations are so predictable, even the good music becomes old after you predict its coming in specific events.

I just suggest you refrain from this Anime. No action lover would like it and no romance lover would like it. This wouldn't even appeal to ecchi lovers. Like I said, this Anime tried and failed. Best kick this one to the curb, folks.