Air Movie

haize78's avatar By on Dec 22, 2014

I'm going to be the discordant voice here and the odd one out, but I didn't like Air the movie.

Obviously this is AFTER I've already seen the series a couple of times, so I'm afraid I cannot objectively judge the movie on its own value without comparing it to the anime series. And Air is a series I really love. So I felt extremely let down by this movie.

Nothing to complain about the music, the OP is the same as the anime series. I didn't like the animation. If compared to the series; I'm sorry I'm going to say this a lot. In the series the characters were drawn better. I did like the light in some scenes (in others the sunlight was honestly excessive) and also the sea. But to me it felt a lot worse than the series.

Story and characters. So it's yet another alternative version of the same story. There's a legend about a winged girl trapped in the sky. Misuzu suffers from an unknown sickness and turns out to be the reincarnation of the winged girl. Yukito is a travelling puppeteer and arrives in the town where Misuzu lives because he hopes to make some money with his puppet show at the summer festival that will be held there. And this is basically the same as the series. The movie focuses only on Yukito and Misuzu. Her school summer assignment is on the town where she lives and she decides to look into the local folklore, so she gets acquainted with the legend of the winged girl in the sky and starts gathering information on it, while Yukito helps her. So parallel to Misuzu and Yukito's story you have this other storyline about Kanna (the winged girl) and Ryura, one of the guards of the shrine where she was confined. The only other character worth mentioning is Misuzu's mother, while all the other characters that were present in the series are gone. Plotwise the movie deviates from the series as it gives you a romantic take on both stories, Misuzu's and Kanna's. In the anime it was never about romance between the characters. Ryura was actually more like a father figure and even if Kanna seemed infatuated, they were always stressing that she was still just a child. As for Misuzu and Yukito, in the series it was presented as an innocent kind of love. I understand that the romantic point of view wasn't developed in the main series so it's good material for a movie - and it isn't this that bothers me.  Ok, so why aren't I so keen on this movie? I guess because I don't like how they made light of it, the characters are the same but different, as in more comedic, they lack the depth they had in the series so I found them a lot less touching. Haruko, Misuzu's mother, in the series is one great character, here they exasperated the "funny" aspect; which was present also in the series, also there she was constantly crashing in the shed and getting drunk, but I really feel that in the series she was described a lot better while in the movie they all kind of become caricatures; there's even a scene where she flings herself practically naked on Yukito - come on!!! Yukito seems to be more developed in this movie, however I still think that he lacks consistency. Same goes for Misuzu. My main objection is that they turned unforgettable characters and a heart-breaking story in something superficial and bland. In my opinion, the movie is just a waste of time. You're better off watching the series.

4.5/10 overall
CrazyBeverly96's avatar By on Nov 3, 2013

Air Movie is the romance story you were looking for in Air TV but never got. Follow Yukito and Misuzu as they finally get the opportunity to get to know each other and share the moments they were meant to share.

Story: 9.5/10

Just so you’re aware, Air Movie is an alternative version of the story in Air TV. However, unlike Air TV, it actually makes sense! And it’s the perfect mix of comedy and drama, with made me happy. But the thing you will remember most about this movie is love of Yukito and Misuzu! I mean seriously, it was about time those two finally became a couple! You can really see how their feelings for each other develop over the course of the plot and every moment between them is so special that you’ll want to replay certain scenes over and over again because that’s just how precious they are. And the story of Kanna and Ryuya is also told and fans of those two will be glad to see that their relationship is much more romantic this time as well. My only disappointment was that the ending was way too predictable and hard to accept. But regardless this movie is just so BEAUTIFUL!!!

Animation: 10/10

While I will admit some parts were a bit too bright, I understand why they made it that way. Light represents the goodness in people, unhidden feelings, trust and love which are all present in this movie. Misuzu’s town is full of detail and is very unique. In fact, just about every location was stunning and memorable from the bus stop, to the town, to Misuzu’s room, and best of all, the summer festival. The characters, of course, look great as well. And who could forget the scene with Yukito in the bath?!?! 8D ME GUSTA!!! But seriously, this has got to be some of the best animation I’ve seen. Also, comedic parts look silly!

Sound: 10/10

Awesome! Everyone did a great job with their character! But if there was anyone who really stood out above the rest, it would have to be Haruko. Her seiyuu knew how to convey all of her different emotions from drunk to optimistic to despair to curious to enthusiastic to concerned to mourning. It was just so amazing! It just made the story all the more beautiful and tragic. Another great voice was that of Misuzu’s. Her cheerful and playful nature was done well and never distracted from the fact that she was suffering from the curse.

Characters: 10/10

This was the best part of this movie! Yukito and Misuzu are such wonderful and relatable characters and I really just love every moment they were on screen. Haruko is MUCH MORE LIKABLE here than she was in the TV series. I’ll admit I didn’t really care much about Kanna and Ryuya back when I had watched Air TV, but the way their story was played out in the movie really made me feel for them. There’s not much more I can say here, but I can guarantee you will love all the characters….

….Except Misuzu’s good-for-nothing dad.

Overall: 10/10

Anyone looking for a good romance should COME WATCH THIS MOVIE NOW!!!!!! You’ll be glad you did! It absolutely deserves to be called one of my golden treasures!

9.5/10 story
tabithamc's avatar By on Apr 8, 2012

I don't even know if I have the words to describe how beautiful this movie is.  It is a sweet love story paralleling a legendary romance.  Your heart will break for the characters of the past as well as the characters of the present.  There are moments that will make you laugh and moments that will make you cry but I assure you that it will have you believing in love! You will want to hold tight everyone that is special to you.  (At least it had this effect on me.)

Madoka's avatar By on Aug 29, 2011

Air Movie:

This review is based upon viewing the movie AFTER the seris (as it should be seen) and so i recomend watching the show first

The story of the movie following the main Misuzu arc from the origonal anime varies around alot. Anyway, the movie is actually quite decent. Really i wont deny i enjoyed the anime's more but this was a retelling were it only had 90 odd mins to get through it instead 12 episodes + OVA's but i think it does a good job at retelling the story plot. As said it follows the main story of Misuzu and so we dont really see any real appearances from the minors here. Misuzu's story is to a degree quite nice here non the less, she basically is in the same situation as the anime but with more time between her and Yukito. The story is told very well and nicely, it runs in at a nice pace, it doesnt feel to slow (meaning the end is usually rushed... a bit like the show) and it doesnt rush into things, with its average pace the story is told nice and smooth and you can truly feel for the events taking place.

In small terms the story is well told here again and you get a nice feeling from seeing it as its like seeing a extended version of the origonal anime. Some parts in the anime did feel a bit better like the scene on the beach at the end when misuzu is at her worst in condition but really the movie hit all the main points down and was still very good.

Animation:

The animation is really so-so in here. By all means its nothing bad, infact its still quite nicely done (do take to mind this is meant to be watched as if in a dreamy view so it wont be perfect) but they really did do a great job here. The only let down in animation is really the fact the shows anime was exceptionally amazing, so here its great but you might feel a bit let down. Without seeing the anime its animation is still worth at least 8.5 but if you have seen the anime you might only feel its worth a 7 but i feel its a good 8 points being fair. It still is good and dont be off put as it by all means isnt bad in anyway what so ever.

Sound:

The soundtrack changes here a bit from the origonal animes. Unfortunatly it did miss some my favorite tracks in the show like there wasnt the main Misuzu track "Natsukage" used as much in the film which was a shame seeming i love that bit of music, but the soundtrack is still quite good. Really theres not much to say about it, its still good, but to listen to it (if you purchase the tracks) you might get bored quickly so its a good soundtrack but might become a little plain quickly upon repetition. I think it still fits well into the show but i just was let down by lacking of my favorite tracks (also i was let down to see "Tori No Uta" wasnt used for the opening)

The voices are practicaly the same as the anime so there isnt much to say here, if you liked the anime's voices you wont be dissapointed, if you didnt like em then you will be let down but really... i think the voices work well so there as good as always =D

The characters are more minor in the movie. The show mainly only is about Yukito, Misuzu and Haruko (i guess we see alot more of misuzu's dad). Really i found them to be some what the same which was good, honestly Haruko was a little bit of a shame, she was more a drunk here and semt less like misuzu's mother, on the origonal seris she is honest to the fact she just wanted to keep a distance to misuzu because the fear of loosing her to her parents but here she just semt more a drunk although the situation is the same. Yukito made me laugh, though hes a traveler i always find it funny because he reminds me of a homeless guy but he lives more like one on here but really i found him more real in here than he was in the anime, i loved him in the anime as he was more kinder and sweet weres here he is still kinda at heart but he feels more real in the terms of being blunt but he is still great, otherwise besides misuzu seems to be inlove with yukito shes every bit as sweet as she was in the anime seris, i love her on here though, shes very playful and acts more like her age and her interest in the winged people legend is realy ironic but cool, so she is probberly just as good as the show ^^

Really the characters are done well here, i think misuzu plays out the best from the moment you meet her and her personailty and how she develops is just great so i think the characters are great. the only reason i didnt score characters a 9 or 10 was because its only about such a limited amount which isnt bad considering its a re-telling but the fact we done really see Tohno or Kono was a shame (Kono does make a small appearance but its so minor its not worth mentioning, and Tohno only is seen in one scene which she doesnt really say anything. But still the characters are well done.

Overall:

Overall i say Air movie is worth watching if you have seen the anime, Its deffinetly a great watch through. The story is retold and its retolold very well if i might add that. The story feels well done and the movie indeffinetly doesnt let down from seeing the anime, its really good and well worth the watch through for any fan of Air so dont give it a miss is my advise

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
jypsyjulia's avatar By on Jul 2, 2011

The STORY of AIR Movie varies from the story of the actual anime, and personally, I prefer the anime.  That being said, I didn't hate the movie - it just wasn't what I was expecting.  I think I was just expecting a re-telling of the anime and felt let down; so go in with an open mind and realize this is drastically different from the anime and you'll probably end up enjoying it more.  It's a bit more realistic, which I initially liked as well.  And (spoiler) Yukito and Misuzu actually kiss, finally.  I also rather liked the mythology aspect of it, and how it tied into the real world through Misuzu.

I didn't like the ANIMATION as much as I did in the series.  It wasn't bad, per say, but I didn't like the rounded effect and the translucent effect around all of the characters.  I understand that it is trying to create a dream-y atmosphere, but I found the anime to be even more compelling without that quality.  I think I'm beginning to compare it to the anime, so let me see it as a separate entity.  For me, the dream-y atmosphere it gives leads me to believe there is going to be a lot more of the supernatural than there is.

The SOUND was fine for me.  I enjoyed all of the voice actors (I saw this in English dub) and I liked their work previously, so I knew I'd like it again.  I also love all of the music.  It is so soft and melodic and I found that to be very nice.

The CHARACTERS are gold for me.  I loved Misuzu's dream-y personality and Yukito's sarcastic tones that always seemed to mix perfectly.  I thought the supporting characters in this movie seemed to just be add-ons, however, and I wished there could have been more interaction and character development - although I did love watching Mizusu and Haruka's relationship grow.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this movie was quite high and I believe I've seen the movie more than a few times.  I especially loved that she was very into the Mythology.  I believe, however, that a lot of my like for AIR and the AIR movie comes from the fact that I see a lot of myself in Mizusu and Kano - so I may be biased.

OVERALL, I quite enjoyed this re-telling.  I would recommend it to probably anyone, as long as they don't have a strong dislike for things being a bit too cheesy sometimes (which this movie had a tendency to do).