Air Movie

tabithamc's avatar By tabithamc on Apr 8, 2012

I don't even know if I have the words to describe how beautiful this movie is.  It is a sweet love story paralleling a legendary romance.  Your heart will break for the characters of the past as well as the characters of the present.  There are moments that will make you laugh and moments that will make you cry but I assure you that it will have you believing in love! You will want to hold tight everyone that is special to you.  (At least it had this effect on me.)

Neon1988's avatar By Neon1988 on Dec 25, 2010

Story 8.5/10

(Since this movie has a corresponding series, in favour of comparisons, spoilers will be contained in the following text)

There are plenty of reviews concerning the series, yet I feel that the homonymous movie created for the game of Key, doesn’t get the attention it deserves. Taking into consideration the variety of different opinions surrounding the main series, I would expect a similarly controversial movie. Thankfully, I was wrong.

To begin with, I feel that the story is quite fair. Honestly, I wasn’t too excited by the series’ approach. Yet, although the movie keeps pace with the basics of the “official” plot, the focus that’s been made on the main story by Toei animation has somehow eliminated all the unnecessary elements that kept Air - the series - in mediocrity (always regarding my personal belief). It also gives the chance for a deeper and smoother approach on the finale which has a few differences as well.

The story begins with a travelling puppeteer that arrives in a small town in his lifetime journey in search of a flying girl above the clouds. There he meets and befriends (well, actually he is befriended by) Misuzu, a beautiful but lonely young teenager. Just like in the series, it turns out that she is the reincarnation of the flying legend he was pursuing, yet as legend unfolds, it turns out that she will die if she ever admits to be in true love with a person. And guess what… she falls in love with Yukito (the puppet master)! Throughout the film, various flashbacks of a story a 1000-years-old gradually explain the mystical relations that have been formed between the two of them either by fate or common circumstances.

A beautiful but pretty sad story with much potential to catch the viewer’s attention and fascinate his or her emotions, that’s what Air the movie is all about. For anyone who has already seen the series, this animated film has still much to offer: a non-identical retelling of the tale – highlighting the main arc, the addition of an actual romance part between the girl and the traveller, a happier ending and many more aspects that aren’t ruined just by watching the 13-episode series.

To conclude this chapter, I want to clarify my statement regarding the “happier ending” (big spoiler alert). First of all, the girl dies. In both editions she has to leave this ugly and miserable world in order for the drama to reach its climax and its expurgation through the protagonist’s doleful finale. On the other hand, this time she has by her side both her mother and her friend, who hasn’t just turned into a crow meaninglessly wandering in the sky… and to whom she has acknowledged a true love. A nicely done improvement, don’t you think?

Animation 7.5/10

Despite having in mind that Toei animation is one of the best in its sector, it would be too difficult to give Air a better score, since I didn’t truly like the direction. The drawing of the characters is far too beautiful and flawless not to take any credit, with comely sceneries at every background neatly bordering a seemingly realistic movement of each person.

The fact that irritated my eyes was the overuse of the sunlight falling at almost every scene for the first 40 minutes and another dark effect taking place during the other 40 minutes. Of course both effects were very nice and well designed, but after a while it gets a bit annoying. Moreover, the production team chose to lend a very dramatic tone to the movie, by adding some mistimed black captions and still drawings in order to frame narrations and intense scenes.

Sound 9.5/10

Generally, there is nothing wrong with the sound and music part. Both the opening and the ending theme are very beautiful and pleasant to hear, with matching lyrics to the spirit of the movie. Also, during the movie, the rhythm of the songs and the music help maintain the pace throughout the end.

Since strong emotions must be expressed in many occasions, choosing good performers is essential for a series or a movie to succeed. In the English version of the film, the actors’ voices were more than descent. I did see the Japanese version of the series only and I felt that it was pretty good as well. Hence, I reckon that the same actors participated in the film, giving a similar performance. The english casting was astonishingly good as well.

Characters 8.5/10

Between a 13-episode tv series and a 90-minutes-long animated movie, which one do you think would stand a more appropriate chance of deepening into its characters and their perspective of life? Yeah, sure, the obvious answer is the former, yet I truly believe that the film stood its ground on this part as well as did the series.

The analysis mostly concerned Yukito, Misuzu, her mother and Ryūya and Kanna, since the other characters only made a cameo appearance. The general approach to the protagonists’ characters is somewhat more mature than that of the series, focusing on reactions that could be corresponded more to an actual event. For example, Misuzu’s mother has a better relationship with her daughter despite keeping some distance from her, while the girl’s attitude towards her classmates and the isolation she remains into seems more natural the way it is displayed.

Overall 8.5/10

Air the movie is a must see for anyone who adores drama and good animation, accompanied by an ear-pleasing music. If you wish to delve more closely to some elements of the myth, try watching the series as well. My only protest is held against the movie’s direction and their constant persistence to those sunlight and dark effects – no big deal other than that. Air is an enjoyable 90 minutes film that will make you feel both sad and happy, wonder about the importance of life, seek the redemption for the wicked soul and witness the clarity of pure love.

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
8.5/10 characters
Madoka's avatar By Madoka on Aug 29, 2011

Air Movie:

This review is based upon viewing the movie AFTER the seris (as it should be seen) and so i recomend watching the show first

The story of the movie following the main Misuzu arc from the origonal anime varies around alot. Anyway, the movie is actually quite decent. Really i wont deny i enjoyed the anime's more but this was a retelling were it only had 90 odd mins to get through it instead 12 episodes + OVA's but i think it does a good job at retelling the story plot. As said it follows the main story of Misuzu and so we dont really see any real appearances from the minors here. Misuzu's story is to a degree quite nice here non the less, she basically is in the same situation as the anime but with more time between her and Yukito. The story is told very well and nicely, it runs in at a nice pace, it doesnt feel to slow (meaning the end is usually rushed... a bit like the show) and it doesnt rush into things, with its average pace the story is told nice and smooth and you can truly feel for the events taking place.

In small terms the story is well told here again and you get a nice feeling from seeing it as its like seeing a extended version of the origonal anime. Some parts in the anime did feel a bit better like the scene on the beach at the end when misuzu is at her worst in condition but really the movie hit all the main points down and was still very good.

Animation:

The animation is really so-so in here. By all means its nothing bad, infact its still quite nicely done (do take to mind this is meant to be watched as if in a dreamy view so it wont be perfect) but they really did do a great job here. The only let down in animation is really the fact the shows anime was exceptionally amazing, so here its great but you might feel a bit let down. Without seeing the anime its animation is still worth at least 8.5 but if you have seen the anime you might only feel its worth a 7 but i feel its a good 8 points being fair. It still is good and dont be off put as it by all means isnt bad in anyway what so ever.

Sound:

The soundtrack changes here a bit from the origonal animes. Unfortunatly it did miss some my favorite tracks in the show like there wasnt the main Misuzu track "Natsukage" used as much in the film which was a shame seeming i love that bit of music, but the soundtrack is still quite good. Really theres not much to say about it, its still good, but to listen to it (if you purchase the tracks) you might get bored quickly so its a good soundtrack but might become a little plain quickly upon repetition. I think it still fits well into the show but i just was let down by lacking of my favorite tracks (also i was let down to see "Tori No Uta" wasnt used for the opening)

The voices are practicaly the same as the anime so there isnt much to say here, if you liked the anime's voices you wont be dissapointed, if you didnt like em then you will be let down but really... i think the voices work well so there as good as always =D

The characters are more minor in the movie. The show mainly only is about Yukito, Misuzu and Haruko (i guess we see alot more of misuzu's dad). Really i found them to be some what the same which was good, honestly Haruko was a little bit of a shame, she was more a drunk here and semt less like misuzu's mother, on the origonal seris she is honest to the fact she just wanted to keep a distance to misuzu because the fear of loosing her to her parents but here she just semt more a drunk although the situation is the same. Yukito made me laugh, though hes a traveler i always find it funny because he reminds me of a homeless guy but he lives more like one on here but really i found him more real in here than he was in the anime, i loved him in the anime as he was more kinder and sweet weres here he is still kinda at heart but he feels more real in the terms of being blunt but he is still great, otherwise besides misuzu seems to be inlove with yukito shes every bit as sweet as she was in the anime seris, i love her on here though, shes very playful and acts more like her age and her interest in the winged people legend is realy ironic but cool, so she is probberly just as good as the show ^^

Really the characters are done well here, i think misuzu plays out the best from the moment you meet her and her personailty and how she develops is just great so i think the characters are great. the only reason i didnt score characters a 9 or 10 was because its only about such a limited amount which isnt bad considering its a re-telling but the fact we done really see Tohno or Kono was a shame (Kono does make a small appearance but its so minor its not worth mentioning, and Tohno only is seen in one scene which she doesnt really say anything. But still the characters are well done.

Overall:

Overall i say Air movie is worth watching if you have seen the anime, Its deffinetly a great watch through. The story is retold and its retolold very well if i might add that. The story feels well done and the movie indeffinetly doesnt let down from seeing the anime, its really good and well worth the watch through for any fan of Air so dont give it a miss is my advise

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
jypsyjulia's avatar By jypsyjulia on Jul 2, 2011

The STORY of AIR Movie varies from the story of the actual anime, and personally, I prefer the anime.  That being said, I didn't hate the movie - it just wasn't what I was expecting.  I think I was just expecting a re-telling of the anime and felt let down; so go in with an open mind and realize this is drastically different from the anime and you'll probably end up enjoying it more.  It's a bit more realistic, which I initially liked as well.  And (spoiler) Yukito and Misuzu actually kiss, finally.  I also rather liked the mythology aspect of it, and how it tied into the real world through Misuzu.

I didn't like the ANIMATION as much as I did in the series.  It wasn't bad, per say, but I didn't like the rounded effect and the translucent effect around all of the characters.  I understand that it is trying to create a dream-y atmosphere, but I found the anime to be even more compelling without that quality.  I think I'm beginning to compare it to the anime, so let me see it as a separate entity.  For me, the dream-y atmosphere it gives leads me to believe there is going to be a lot more of the supernatural than there is.

The SOUND was fine for me.  I enjoyed all of the voice actors (I saw this in English dub) and I liked their work previously, so I knew I'd like it again.  I also love all of the music.  It is so soft and melodic and I found that to be very nice.

The CHARACTERS are gold for me.  I loved Misuzu's dream-y personality and Yukito's sarcastic tones that always seemed to mix perfectly.  I thought the supporting characters in this movie seemed to just be add-ons, however, and I wished there could have been more interaction and character development - although I did love watching Mizusu and Haruka's relationship grow.

My PERSONAL ENJOYMENT for this movie was quite high and I believe I've seen the movie more than a few times.  I especially loved that she was very into the Mythology.  I believe, however, that a lot of my like for AIR and the AIR movie comes from the fact that I see a lot of myself in Mizusu and Kano - so I may be biased.

OVERALL, I quite enjoyed this re-telling.  I would recommend it to probably anyone, as long as they don't have a strong dislike for things being a bit too cheesy sometimes (which this movie had a tendency to do).

MagicalWay's avatar By MagicalWay on Aug 15, 2012

Base in the Bishoujo game release in PC, DC and PS2, later on turned into a wonderful anime of 12 episodes, but now unfortunately the movie lacks what the Anime had, but it also gives some moments that the Anime lacked as well, so lets see the different aspects of this Movie.

Story: (8/10)
The story is basically the same, but only focusing in Misuzu story, so the other characters like Kano, Hijiri, Minagi and Michiru are out and they don't have an important role, or you could said that none at some point, which is good in a way since after seeing the anime you thought that Misuzu Story was not fully developed then this movie will fill that lack from the anime. Although the story change in a way ( I'm not saying spoilers ), it change in a good way up to some point, you manage to see lots of scenes you should had wanted to see in the Anime, so i strongly recommend to see the anime before the movie in the story matter.

Animation: (7/10)
I was expecting something of a high quality presentation in this movie, but my hopes were too high for the matter, the characters designs are a little less detailed than the anime, the animation work its not as smooth and detailed as the anime series. The backgrounds are good, but they don't have the beautiful sky animations of the Anime series, so nothing to be amaze in here.

Sound: (8/10)
Its the same sound of the Anime, the same Voice Acting, the same music, so nothing new here, maybe the ending song is new, but I'm not 100% sure, still even if it was the same i enjoyed it since the OP song is just a great song a really catchy, also the Voice Acting fits the characters really well and makes you feel more in touch with their feelings, so its ok.

Characters: (7/10)
The characters personality changed a little, i don't want to tell unnecessary informations, but they are all lovable characters, they change thought the movie and manage to keep the charm from the anime, plus you see some new emotions that were out of the anime that might give the fans some good moments. So since the story only focus in Misuzu you will miss some of the other memorable characters, which that is quite sad, but thats was the point of the movie.

Overall Rating: (7.5/10)

Thanks for reading, and sorry for not giving a strongly detailed review, i just don't want to spoil your experience, so enjoy the Movie if you are going to watch it!