Air Gear

Teh3morejekt's avatar By Teh3morejekt on Jan 30, 2010

The only reason I gave it a 5 for animation is that it is in 4:3 format and not 16:9. The story is great the characters are introduced and explained. Although the manga does a better job at most of these, mainly because it is stilll going. The concept is great and I found myself wanting a pair of ATs.

8.2/10 overall
Juhiro7788's avatar By Juhiro7788 on May 11, 2011

Air gear as an anime was initially eichii-ish which is what gave me the impression that i would just be watching this anime to pass my time and not finding it any good. However as the story progresses there seems to be less eichii-ness and more story and comedy. Overall i find it strikingly original and funny.

This happened to me with a recommendation from my brother (which is usually where good anime comes from) to watch Air Gear. I looked it up and Youtube and as i said before my first impression of the show was bad, i couldn't tolerate the tacky eichii, i thought Ringo was annoying as hell and Ikki was a sorry excuse for a main character. Though as the story went on i began to really get into the idea of parts wars and teams, i admired the detail they put into the anime yet at the same time felt the annoyance of having lack of detail.

It was entertaining and Akito/Agito was by-far my favorite character and the motivation for me to watch that show because even if the plot was good it could have been expressed better, and while the characters may not have been clichés, i felt like they weren't well developed enough. I'm the kind of person that likes complex characters with not nessesarily having many different personalities in different situations but also have an in depth reaction in different situations. Take Onigiri for example, he's unique and funny, but for every situation or problem you put him in, you get the same response, that being something perverted. Moreover people like Kazu, who is in a word... flat. Character wise (in the anime) he does nothing, he just fills up space on the team. Compared to characters like Buccha and of course Akito/who've got a bit more story behind them and the way they act shows that.

On the positive side what's been done really well is the storyline, the idea in general. ATs, classes, emblems, teams, skates and roads are all well thought of and bringing my point home air gear is a great place to create an OC (own character, a character of your own creation in an anime background of your choice), i once created my own air gear team as well when i was into the show.

Another good thing is the soundtrack, i fell in love with the whole modern, techno feel to the songs that really matched ATs and skating. When i heard the music i just couldn't help but want to go out and skate, i could almost, no, i could fully feel the a Agito drenaline of every trick, speed and turn the characters did, and the music is the one that did it.

Opinions aside i just want to point out some other things that i really liked about the show, first being Ikki's family, how all of them have such distinct personailties, Ringo aside (as i don't see anything special about her) there's Rina, whose the mature one around but very tough and punishes people who don't do what they're supposed to, Mikon who's my favorite of the siblings and is a bit of a tomboy, rough and funny and lastly of course Ume, the creepy youngest sister, whom i loved after the whole Matsutake mushroom episode.

I also watched the whole series in ENGLISH DUB which, compared to some other animes with english dub, this one wasn't so bad, there were some (many) corny phrases and some of the translation was messed up, but what kept me watching the english dub (seriously) was they gave Spitfire a britsh/scottish accent, which was epic in all ways. One example was towards the end of the series where simca complains to spitfire about him cutting her hair short, Spitfire comments "sorry love, no refunds." and the way he said it was just so... i don't know how to explain it, but it was very funny and entertaining. Having the show in english also means there was a lot of swearing, by Agito obviously, and thus i had to make sure i was in a room alone before i watched it as not to offend anyone.

In conclusion this is a funny, somewhat light anime that i would recommend to those who aren't fazed by swearing or perverted-ness. It was creative and gives you an adrenaline rush every time, that why it rates 7 out of 10

8.5/10 story
IgnisVengeance's avatar By IgnisVengeance on Sep 22, 2013

had a really interesting concept, but I didnt feel like it was executed right, horrible ending ruined it for me
yet to watch the OVA, and not really interested in this series anymore

nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Jan 28, 2010

Story: Air Gear is definitely funny. I'm usually not a fan of ecchi nor did I suddenly become one due to Air Gear but I loved the humor. I stopped Air Gear at first become the sexual content threw me off but I found myself undergoing withdrawal and missing the laughs. The action, drama and comedy all go together pretty nicely. However, the ending is awful. It leaves so much open ended and many questions unanswered. Unsatisfying ending. But the rest entertaining and engaging. The rolling skate aspect is pretty unique and interesting as well. Also, the relationship are a lot more indepth than they first appear.

Animation: Bold colors and characters design. Nice landscapes and fluid motion. Action scenes are engaging and you want to keep watching. The opening has a cool feel to it and the emotions are done well. Memorable characters that are not only representative but also unique. No two main or even secondary character look alike. The teams have a similar look but they're not important as single characters so I count their look as one.

Sound: I love this music. It's cool, edgy, fun and memorable. Not only would I buy the soundtrack but the opening song as well. The music is definitely one the best parts of this anime. I can't say much about the seiyuus because I watched the English (I couldn't find good quality of the Japanese). The English was surprisingly pretty good. Agito's voice through me off at first but I soon started to love (not just like) it. But PHENOMENAL music.

Characters: The characters are memorable and interesting. However, the reason my score isn't as high is because they kind of annoyed me. Agito was my favorite and most of the others were generally likable.  They were pretty well developed and had depth. Really fun characters.

Overall: Air Gear was definitely out of my comfort zone but I found myself really enjoying it. I would recommend this to someone who even didn't like ecchi because, although it does have it's moments, it's generally not that bad in that aspect. Hilarious show which is re watchable.

8.5/10 animation
9.5/10 sound
BoyTitan's avatar By BoyTitan on Oct 21, 2009

well this anime suprised the hell out of me didnt expect to watch it great combination of action comedy and this was even more unexpected it had a good story ^^ watch this episode one had me hooked from the first fight scene were ikki at the time a bmxer start poopin off at this at rider ikki gos chargein in at dude the dude like dum fast gets behind ikki real fast got him in some like pile drive position and take the dude in the air from the window and ikki take a piss on himself while hes a inch away from the ground cause the dude stops and him and his whole gang start laughing