Ah! My Goddess TV

Jehowi's avatar By on Nov 19, 2013

Ah! My Goddess

Storyline

7. Keichi is living a boring high school life, far away from his family. His club members from the male-exclusive Auto Club take advantage of him all the time and his love life is inexistent. But that all changes when he accidentally calls the Goddess Assistance Agency. He meets up with the beautiful Belldandy, who claims to be a Goddess from heaven who can grant him one single wish to reward the compassion he has for other people. Strangely enough, Keichi doesn’t ask the Goddess for wealth, fame, popularity or immortality, the things I’d most likely ask when I had the chance, but he asks her to stay by his side forever. The innocent Belldandy immediately accepts her fate and starts a new life on earth together with Keichi.

Plot and pace

6. The series had a lot of potential. I rushed through the first twelve or so episodes in merely two days and had a pleasant watch, but then the creators decided to take a different road. While the first episodes were based on Keichi developing feelings for Belldandy and ultimately even trying to confess to her - this being very hard for him because he’s a loser who’s never been with a girl before - , halfway through the series they started adding a lot of irrelevant new side-stories, some more ridiculous than others, and also some annoying new characters. It says a lot when I found the OVA’s the most enjoyable episodes since halfway through the Anime.

Cliffhangers

5. There are only some cliffhangers in the last three episodes of the Anime. They tried to give a thrilling ending to an Anime that outshines in randomness, but failed. You never get the feeling that anyone’s in grave danger. Most of the problems get resolved by simply adding some new content about the Goddess powers to the series that the viewer didn’t know about. Clever, AIC, clever!

Satisfying ending

5. This is one of those cliché series where you know beforehand that nothing’s actually going to happen. Keichi never really dares to make his move, and when he’s getting there, some kind of interruption always comes in-between them. The last three episodes formed a darker story that didn’t fit the series and could never be taken seriously. But hey! They needed to have at least some kind of conclusion that didn’t include Keichi and Belldandy getting intimate, right?

Rewatchability

4. I wouldn’t watch this story again. While Belldandy is a lovely character and the story was somewhat fun to watch at first, there are too many drawbacks and nearly no progression whatsoever. I can already predict what will happen - or won’t happen - in the second season, and that’s keeping me from watching it right now. Maybe I will watch the second season in the future.

6. The characters are just so-so. Some are great, other fail to give the story any added value and could be just left out of season two for all I care. Belldandy, obviously, is the star of the show. She is kind, powerful and got the looks. But her innocence and ignorance about relationships and her low knowledge about the earth give the viewer who expects some kind of romantic conclusion few to be cheering about. Keichi is a sad unlucky fool, but at least he’s come to accept it like I did. His club consisted of two funny guys and a whiney  bitch who received no less than a full episode to groan and moan about her incompetence to get anything right. then there’s Belldandy’s sisters. The hatred I felt for these imbeciles… They could best hope that my foot won’t hit them on the way out of this show. The elder one is selfish and in the end almost destroyed the earth, while the younger one is a brat that can’t stand Belldandy and Keichi getting intimate and always intervenes when they do. Other than that, their whole background, personality and reasons for being in this show are as redundant as looking for water in the middle of the desert.

Conversations

7. The story never gets hard to follow. All of the romantic scenes end with the same cliché sentences like “I want to be with you forever” or “I’ll protect you”. their babbling never goes any deeper than that, but because this show was apparently made for kids I don’t think they would mind.

Art Style

8. Everything in this show looks pleasant and appropriate. The characters look great and so do the backgrounds. The Anime has a modern look, even though it’s already eight years old.

Setting

5. The viewer gets to see certain parts of heaven where they’re working hard to keep the earth in balance, but other than that everything takes place either at the school Belldandy and Keichi go to or the temple they borrowed from a monk who never returns home.

Music and sounds

7. The sound effects are spot on, the voice acting acceptable. The intro song is decent and suitable. The ending song was awkward, but I never really kept listening to hear the end of it. The villains and good guys can easily be separated from one another by just listening to their voices.

Overall score

60/100

charvisioku's avatar By on Dec 3, 2012

The premise of Ah! My Goddess is quite original; Keiichi, a bit of a loser with terrible bad luck, is using the phone one night when he accidentally gets through to the 'Goddess Hotline' which sends him a goddess who says she'll grant one wish.

Rather than money or power, Keiichi's wish is that a goddess like her would stay with him forever; this leads to a romantic comedy which is, in my opinion at least, very well-executed.

Belldandy (the goddess) and Keiichi end up living together in a temple which is given to them to look after whilst its owner goes off on his travels to attempt to attain more enlightenment. The anime basically follows the relationship of the pair as it develops (very slowly) and the problems they sometimes face, mainly due to Keiichi's horrendous bad luck.

It flows quite well, and the later introduction of Belldandy's sisters Urd and Skuld helps a lot with the comedy aspect of the series. Over time the relationship between Belldandy and Keiichi grows and develops despite the attempts of friends and relatives to get in the way. I ended up caring quite a lot about whether things would work out for them, and unlike most series of this genre AMG managed to grip me through both series.

One thing I can say about AMG is that it manages to use ecchi (which I normally find annoying and pointless) in a way that increases the comedy and actually fits in with the context/story.

The backgrounds were generally quite badly drawn, but I don't personally pay much attention to those anyway. The characters, on the other hand, were all beautifully coloured and animated. I love the designs of Urd and Belldandy, and the art matched up to the story and characters perfectly.

The voice-overs were fairly average - nothing you wouldn't find elsewhere - but I've generally come to expect that, what with there being so many animes out there. They did suit the characters for the most part (I watched it Subbed) and I would definitely watch other animes with the same voice actors in. The few episodes I did watch dubbed were horrific and I advise you never to go there. Please. For your own sake. I have to take a full point off for the dubs, they really were that bad - especially Belldandy.

As a whole, the music was good and in keeping with the themes and moods of the anime.

Although some of the characters were fairly generic, it worked. Belldandy and Keiichi remind me very strongly of Chii and Hideki of Chobits, which is another really good anime rom-com. I would recommend watching Chobits if you do like AMG.

Belldandy herself is a good character in the sense that she's very innocent and well-meaning. One thing I didn't like about her was her complete subservience to Keiichi, but this was mostly counter-acted by Keiichi being very humble; he never orders her around or anything like that so it doesn't seem like servitude as much as wanting to please him because she loves him. Besides, I'm fairly sure my dislike for it is purely to do with cultural differences.

Urd is probably my favourite character - she's always trying to 'seduce' Keiichi but her ulterior motive is to get him to man up and confess his feelings to Belldandy - something he really does need a kick up the backside with. Plus, as I said earlier she manages to bring ecchi into the anime which is actually funny.

Skuld is your typical whiny little sister; doesn't want big sister to be taken away from her, makes herself into a class A nuisance in an attempt to prevent it. She's very annoying.

Marrler was the worst one for me. I won't say what it is because that would be a spoiler (I think), but her weakness is just downright stupid. She's a pathetic excuse for a demon and I honestly think the series would have been better if they'd changed her into a more formidable enemy (I know it's a light-hearted series but there is a limit...).

Keiichi... well, he's nothing new. Unlucky with women, money and everything else. Clueless when it comes to romance. Essentially good-hearted. Bit of a cookie-cutter character but it wouldn't really work if he was any other way.

The only other character I can think of worth mentioning is Sayoko. She's a complete bitch and just wants Keiichi so she can spite Belldandy, since she feels threatened by her. She can't stand the idea of another girl getting attention from the guys at university, so she tries her best to humiliate Belldandy and steal Keiichi from her. I wanted to strangle her all the way through.

TL;DR

AMG is a harem involving goddesses, which incorporates a lot of situational comedy and focuses on the relationship between Keiichi, a human, and one of the goddesses, Belldandy. It's a good anime to watch if you like rom-coms and even as someone who isn't usually into that kind of thing I would highly recommend it.

Reccs

*Chobits (many similarities in relationship dynamics)

*Ouran High School Host Club (vaguely similar humour)

shrekfx's avatar By on Aug 31, 2012

This is a great story.. I was kinda worried at first because it sounds to be a girly type story, but after watching a couple episodes, I fell in love with it.  There really isn't much to complain about this anime to be honest. I highly recomend watching this when you get a chance.

Alphaman's avatar By on May 15, 2012

This was a great anime, I loved Belldandy, Urd, Skuld, Keiichi, and everyone else, it got weird at times but that just made it interesting. Everytime Belldandy and Keiichi were almost there, I was at the edge of my seat until Skuld or someone else came in and messed it up and all my emotion blew up without anywhere to go. I was extremely happy when the second season came out and watched every single episode immediately on youtube, (I've watched it about 3 times now) This anime will definite remain as one of my favorites for a long time, if not, forever.

roriconfan's avatar By on Jan 4, 2012

NOTICE : This review covers all seasons OVAs and movies. There are hardly any differences amongst them, so more reviews than one are unnecessary.

PREFACE
This is the title that initiated the Magical Girlfriend subgenre of harems and ecchies and it’s also amongst the oldest harems yet still published manga series (it’s been around since 1988). They made a short OVA series and a movie in mid-90’s and then a 2-season remake and 3 following OVAs in mid-00’s. Funny thing; it is still amongst the best in the field.

THE STAFF
- It is the best work to date from the dozens of tv shows studio AIC has produced so far. I gotta give it a credit for finally making something noteworthy amongst its several lukewarm anime.
- The director, Gouda Hiroaki, pretty much remained faithful to the original material and only rearranged the order of events, so the pacing would feel more interesting. He also took out lots of racing and engineering events which were fine to show how much the mangaka loved racing but otherwise would be completely boring in anime form. Thus he did a fine job in the transition from manga to anime and this is also his best work in overall (he also directed a season of Bubblegum Crisis, which, unlike AMG, is an obsolete franchise today).
- The anime is based on the manga by Fujishima Kousuke, which is also his greatest work that is still continuing today. He also did You are Under Arrest, but that title was forgotten very fast.
So in all three cases, it’s the best work everybody in the staff ever made.

SCRIPT
[Feels almost like a hentai]

The story is about a teenage dork dialing the wrong number and ends up living with a beautiful goddess, ready to fulfill his wishes, of which his is to stay with him forever (wish fullfilment). Soon afterwards her also godly sisters pop up (harem creation) and his life becomes complicating as he is constantly surrounded by supernatural hot chicks and had to keep using his talents to save the world from cosmic horrors (action) without messing his tiny personal life (comedy). The story is one big pile of comedy, romance, drama, that also blends mythology with science fiction. The core premise is always about Keichi and Belldandy being in love and staying true to each other, even when the cosmic forces conspire against them.

The whole “Sudden Girlfriend Appearance” never made much sense and a “Magical Girlfriend” one makes even less. The whole deal is quite unrealistic. Beautiful goddesses, living in your apartment and helping you solve your problems with epic-level magic? That is something that happens only in anime as cheap means of escapism. Plus, only living with them but never go beyond peeking and hugging is something that all men should loathe worldwide.

But let’s not forget it was amongst the first to set the stage as such and it was everybody else that copied this now tired formula. I hold nothing against its premise as it was quite original and interesting back then. Also, judging it as a fictional story it is far-far better than most similar series as it leaves room for infinite possibilities. Unlike most harems that are hardly trying to flesh out their characters or provide internal logic to all the madness in the story, AMG is actually trying its best to make everything seem logical and excused. The girls are all there for a reason, react somewhat logical with the restrictions of the premise, have powers that are somewhat excused through science and every event has technology and mythology to back it up.

Also, the story never forgets to still be easy-going and funny, where nothing major or deadly ever happens; so all “fake-looking” or “nerdy” situations in it are easily ignored. Realism aside, it is good and cheery, without being great. Some parts are definitely more exciting or funny than others and most of the duration may feel as dead time but it is still overall quite enjoyable.

A big flaw for some is that there is no actual scenario development, other than introducing more secondary characters and ephemeral threats every now and then. But if stand-alone episodes and stale stories don’t bother you, this is not a problem anymore. Other than that, there is no actual objective or even a conclusion, no matter how many mangas or episodes or OVAs or movies come out. It just goes on and on indefinitely.

CAST
[Sultan’s favorite place]

I admit that Belldandy is amongst my favorite anime girls. Too gentle and good to be true, but then again she is a goddess and that is enough of an excuse. Her sisters Urd and Skuld are also very interesting. Few series manage to present so many diverse and yet likable characters. I can say it is the combination of great visuals, ethereal music and unearthly nature that makes them feel far better than the average harem bimbo out there.

But Keichi is was and still is a typical male dork that is swarmed by beautiful girls without being anything special. Oh, sure, he is gentle, kind, good-hearted and the like; but let’s face it, girls don’t really notice such things. We can always justify it with the fact that Belldandy is a goddess that can see people for what they really are. But since I am not a god, I say he is a sissy for feeling embarrassed every time he has the chance to make some lovey-dovey. He and all other males like him in most harem anime are despicable! They give the male gender a bad name, he is the driest and worst character amongst the cast. But if I am to give him a few redeeming qualities, I can say he is actually using his brain from time to time to solve some problems and even finds the courage to fight for his harem. Too bad he isn’t bold enough to do anything other than that.

Other than that, all characters have quirks, backdrop stories and goals that go beyond their stereotypes as sex-bombs, edgy lolitas and shy male virgins. The secondary characters are all very likable and give enough coloring to main ones. None of them were bad or unneeded in the story. I can’t say the same about Keichi (and to think he is supposed to be the protagonist!).

None develops or finds any sort of catharsis because of the short-arced type of series, which may become tiresome after awhile. Meaning, the characters are colored but are not developing at all. Keichi and Belldandy come a bit closer in the end but it’s nothing much.

PRODUCTION VALUES
[Magical technology]

The animation is great if you compare it with other similar series.
-All Slice-Of-Life series don’t use flashy visual effects (they don’t fit there). So, the graphics here are catchier, by default.
-Most romances hardly have so heart-warming atmosphere and adorable character figures.
-Most Magical Girl series don’t have so well made (or serious looking, if you prefer) visual effects.
-Almost all comedies don’t have so detailed character figures. They are usually simplistic and go chibi all the time.
-Most Harem/Ecchi series turn their female characters into obnoxious, panties-revealing sluts. The girls here retain an air of purity and gentleness. The naughty scenes are few but worthwhile, as the focus in the series is not waiting to see boobs every 10 seconds (like it happens in most).

So, ok, they are not Clannad good and not Howl’s Moving Castle good; the animation is bad most of the times. Still, they visually beat in background detailing, body figure drawing and 3D modeling almost all series that are 2 years and older than it.

Music themes and voice acting are very good. The women voicing the goddesses are also the singers in the songs (a thing that was kept intact in the remake as well). Very likable voices and backdrop music that fill your heart with happiness. Even the funky sound effects during the action parts feel cool as they are usually attributed to technology or mythology.

LEGACY
[Like a sunny day, it is enjoyable but also rather passable]

Ah! My Goddess helped to mainstream Harem and Magical Girlfriend stereotypes and thus deserves a good mark just for that. The manga is still far better than the watered-down adaptation; longer and with bolder erotism. Rewatchability is medium-high for fans of slice of life but for most else there is very little to expect from a second watch. Although not original or unique anymore, it is still amongst the best of its genre.

Some problems ruined a portion of the enjoyment.
-The relationship between Keichi and Beldandy never goes beyond hugging, making the whole deal stale and without further development. The story itself has no development, other than introducing more secondary characters every now and then.
-There is a lot of character coloring as the series progress but very little character development. You get to know more about them but don’t see them change at all.
-There are lots of uninteresting episodes, where the goddesses and/or demons rival each other, just for laughs.
-There is no conclusion (not even the manga has one, as of yet).
The rest of it was quite decent and a worthy watch.

SUGGESTION LIST
Read the manga version. It is far longer and better.
Love Hina
Can Can Bunny Extra (Hentai tribute)