Afro Samurai Resurrection

ACEDICE's avatar By on Jan 25, 2015

Story- a good story for new comers but nothing new for those that have visited the series before only diffrence being he now has the number one head band

Animation- one of the most enjoyable things of the whole movie was defiantly its animation, it all fealt right

Sound- whats good animation and fights without good sound and we were not let down. Every scene had been accompanied with equally beautiful music

Characters- what can i say Ninja Ninja made this rating he was undoubtfully the most fun character to watch but this doesnt take away from the other characters that were intresting enough to keep you form seeking an edited version of all Ninja's parts

Overall I quite enjoyed it and would recommened to any that enjoys a good animation whether you be a causal or hard core anime watcher although I do warn you there is graphc imagery so dont go in expecting rainbows and daisies. 4/5

PhdInCartoons's avatar By on Mar 13, 2013

Only there to keep the thing moving, style over substance. Follows the exact example as the  show. They tried to make it a little more surprising with some twists, these don't really come of that well.

Excellent, very like the show. Some brilliant fight scenes, actually brilliant.

The music is pretty O.K, the voices are only O.K., even considering. You would expect better from such a high quality vocal cast

Like in the show, the characters let this production down. They are all very 1-dimensional. There isn't a lot of growth. However if you are going to watch this you probably know that already. It is a direct continuation of the series and the characters are the same. If you are looking to watch this then you obviously enjoye the series so the lack of character development is hardly going to put you off.

I thoroughly enjoyed both outings of this anime, both the anime and the film. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good action movie.

6.5/10 sound
6.4/10 overall
Matu's avatar By on Feb 17, 2012

I recommend you watch the original Afro Samurai before watching Afro Samurai: Resurrection.  Here is my review of the original series.

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't watched the original series, this review may spoil important plot details!!!  Read on at your own risk.

Afro, having claimed the Number One Headband, is living a peaceful life, but that is quickly shattered by a new foe.  Once again, Afro must go on a mission to claim revenge for his father, but this time, it seems his father may have something to say about it....from beyond the grave.

The story of Afro Samurai: Resurrection (AF:R) is incredibly moving.  Unlike the original series, this movie has the potential to make you cry.  Afro, Jinno and others must fight through heart-breaking circumstances (And of course brutal battles) this time.  Don't expect many happy endings from AF:R.

The animation was essentially the same as in the Afro Samurai series, Japanese/Western.  The fight scenes are still as beautifully gory as ever, with very smooth animations.

The sound was provided by the same artist who made the soundtrack for the original series, so it was much the same hip-hop/R&B theme, which is by no means a bad thing in this setting.

Most of the characters from AF:R are the same ones from the original series, but with a few additions.  The old characters (Afro, Jinno, some of the Clan of the Empty Seven) have their backgrounds explored more thoroughly than in Afro Samurai.  I loved these stories, as I was finally able to discover what happened in these characters' past to make them what they are.

The main villain of this movie, Sio, is a sexy, manipulative woman set on killing Afro in the most painful (physically and emotionally) way possible.  She is great, not just for her abundant fanservice, but for how ridiculously evil she is.

Final Thoughts:

This Anime Is... A Masterpiece.  An amazing, emotional ending to Afro Samurai, it perfectly captures the excellence of the original series and ends it with a truly satisfying battle.

Should I Watch This Anime? Without a doubt.  If you enjoyed the original Afro Samurai, you NEED to watch AF:R.  Even if you didn't like the first series, you may like this movie.  Watch it! Now!

8.5/10 characters
triplestrike's avatar By on Jun 16, 2011

*Please see my review for afro samurai becasuse it's mostly the same thing*

Take the afro samurai show, end it and then bring it back in the bloodbath that is afro samurai resurrection. This installment now includes Lucy Lu (sorry if that is spelt wrong) is the english dub version. This is a great anime to ease people into anime with if they aren't already fans. This is, exactly what you'd expect if you've seen the first, only slightly better, it succeeds is what it tries to do, which is fast stylized combat and fat beats to back it up. It's a fun watch, grab some friends and enjoy, for any other info please see my earlier review.

7.3/10 story
8.7/10 sound
7.5/10 characters
geicorules's avatar By on Apr 19, 2011

Afro Samurai Resurrection , the story of afro continues. After obtaining the number one head band and getting revenge for his fathers death afro decides on a life without fighting and rejects what comes along with the number one head band. But there is people who afro effected in the past and they aren't going to let him just reject what comes along with the number one head band. Afro is forced to fight once again and obtain the number two head band before he can fight for the number one again. But more is in store for afro. Afro will be forced to fight his deceased father. All these issues and more occure in the matter of this one movie.

Afro samurai finaly continues its 5 episode streak with a movie. This movies story is pretty well put together. Afro is forced to join back in on the fighting and wil cause others pain once again but not only others but afro him self is forced to fight his own father along with his best friend and others. The story still felt very afro samurai to me not much changed. The colors changed a little and characters like gino changed with the time. Over all a good extension to the story. With all that said Afro maintains its 6.5/10 from the series.

Afros animation doesn't really change much. Little has changed. Some minor changes in chracters like bags under ginos eyes and a more bright setting for the show but over all not too much changes from afro samurai series. With that said Afro once again maintains its animation score of 7.3/10.

The sounds of afro change a little bit in this movie compared to the series. Having a large focus in a party during the fight for the number two head band was pretty sweet. All the music thrown together with the fighting and even some sex on the side higher the score a little from the series. I give the sound a solid 7/10

The afro samurais chracters. DO they ever die? This series recycles chracter more then I have ever seen. Even with saying that you can't really hate the characters you have already fallen in love with. Along with the new characters introduced and killed of before the series it still turned out pretty good. The one redeemable chracter is the kid who reminds me so much of afro as a kid. Yes that was the point of this chracter I am sure of it. Ending the movie passing the number two off to the child and telling him to come after you when he is ready. Yes this helps redeem its score andf throw it over to a solid 7/10

This is a must see for anyone who has seen the series and enjoyed it. It really helps to continue the story and even keep you wondering what will happen next. Although that be said Afro Samurai Resurrection only gets a 6.825/10 from me. If you didn't see the series I wouldn't recomend it 100% although it is still a good movie to help extend the series.

6.5/10 story