Afro Samurai Resurrection

ACEDICE's avatar By ACEDICE on Jan 25, 2015

Story- a good story for new comers but nothing new for those that have visited the series before only diffrence being he now has the number one head band

Animation- one of the most enjoyable things of the whole movie was defiantly its animation, it all fealt right

Sound- whats good animation and fights without good sound and we were not let down. Every scene had been accompanied with equally beautiful music

Characters- what can i say Ninja Ninja made this rating he was undoubtfully the most fun character to watch but this doesnt take away from the other characters that were intresting enough to keep you form seeking an edited version of all Ninja's parts

Overall I quite enjoyed it and would recommened to any that enjoys a good animation whether you be a causal or hard core anime watcher although I do warn you there is graphc imagery so dont go in expecting rainbows and daisies. 4/5

iymovies's avatar By iymovies on Sep 11, 2010

<center>Afro Samurai: Ressurection

?di=212842070738</center>

Overall: 8.9/10

Afro Samurai is definitely a very unique anime. I have yet to see something much like it, which might be a good thing. Overall, I definitely enjoyed the movie more then I did the actual (5 episode) series. The plot seemed to have more life to it, the fight scenes were much more action packed and intense. Actually, the main (only) reason I scored this anime a 9.0 was for the great fighting scenes.

Animation: 9.0/10

The animation was pretty good. For the year it was released, it was definitely not bad. That's about all there is to it.

Characters: 7.8/10

Afro Samurai is portrayed as a "badass gangsta samurai," which I find slightly humerus. The main character is basically a demon who sold his soul a long time ago for revenge on his father. Endlessly killing people who get in his way. Along with his insanity, is Ninja Ninja, his imaginary traveling companion, who, how should I say this..

All in all, the sad thing may be I liked the "minor" character who wore the #2 headband the most out of the entire cast.

Sound: 8.7/10

Now, I'm not a huge fan of rap (excluding Eminem), but I have to admit, Afro Samurai: Resurrection did have some pretty catchy beats to it. The English dub (is there even a sub for this?) was very well done. The music was was well matched to the fighting scenes as well. (There I go again. I just can't think of much else to say about the movie.)

Plot: 7.9/10

Guy has #1 headband. Guy gets killed. Son wants revenge. Son gets #2 headband. Son kills #1. Son gets #1 headband. Repeat.

It's unique in a sense, but definitely nothing special. Honestly, again, the only real good thing about this anime is the fighting scenes. The plot is dull, the characters are meh, the music is not to bad, but that's really all there is to it.

Read the formatted version here

7.9/10 story
8.7/10 sound
7.8/10 characters
8.9/10 overall
Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Nov 27, 2010

The only reason to watch this is because you enjoyed the original and want more stylish badass action, violence, and more style. Come in with the same expectations as the first and you'll most likely enjoy it all the same. Expect more than that and the flaws will glare back at you in distain as you would do to them.

It's more of the same, except now Afro has the Number 1 Headband he got from Ron Perlman (Justice) at the finale of the original. In a nutshell, Afro is in solitude after getting the headband but loses said headband to Lady Sio and needs to get it back as well as stop her plans. That's pretty much the plot right there, just short of explaining the plan. It's there for Afro to have a reason to kick ass and look stylish while doing it. The story or writing don't matter much, as the fighting is what it's all about.

Same old style, same old visuals, same old amazing stylish goodness. It looks good, it runs good and it looks beautiful. As stylish as ever, it keeps up with the original and for the most part, nothing has changed; which is for the better, as the original looked amazing. Also of note is the opening, which looks damn amazing and feels kinda old-school.

VO is just as good as before, except for the lack of Ron Perlman. Music is pretty much as good as before as well, especially the theme to the opening. And it works wonders when it plays again later on.

Afro now has a beard. Apart from that, everything's just about the same. Lady Sio wants revenge and there's some backstory to it and to some of her partners-in-crime, but that isn't really important. What's kinda/slightly/sort-of important is a boy later on, but to go into it might spoil it. But remember; why did Afro kill in the first one? Was it because they hindered him in his quest for the Number 1 Headband? Probably, and that's all I have to say about that.

As usual, first and foremost is the action, violence, badassery and style with a "plot" to help move those four aspects along. And because I should mention it at least once; fan-service, mainly in the form of the main villain no less. It's like two peas in a pod, with the other pea being the first one; they're nearly identical.

Baxter's avatar By Baxter on Oct 21, 2010

Making sequels is a fickle thing. It's vary similar to owning a house. Once you've bought said house , you have two ways of going about doing what you wish for the house: 1# you could put in nice furniture, a new paint job, clean up the attic, just make it better then it was or #2, you can do an entire overhaul on the damn thing, make the roof look like a chicken coop, put in new rooms that look tacky as hell on the outside, put a statue outside of a little boy peeing into a waterfall which will probably not go well with the neighborhood watch, basically go hog wild on the place. Sometimes #2 works, but most of the time it doesn't (hello Matrix sequels.)

Afro Samurai: Resurrections is easily the former and an improvement over the first installment. The characters are actually interesting, we get an analization of Afro and the Consequences of his actions, bringing up the subject of revenge. It might not do it fantastically and sometimes it wavers on it's premise and I can't be sure if Afro learns from his mistakes now but from the ending of part 2, I'm really revved up for part 3.

The story starts off with Afro sitting around his dads old house living what seems to be a simple monastic lifestyle. He has a big bushy beard, sits around whittling figures of the people who he used to know, when all of a sudden out pops ol' teddy bear head on a motorcycle with the sexy new villainess where he goes all ape-shit on Afro, steals the #1 headband and the jawbone of Afro's Father (I'm positive that's a biblical reference. it's just too strange not to be.) and leave Afro so that he can ultimately come back to them slashing his way through as many guys as he humanly cane.

The overall theme of this movie is Revenge and Constant cycle seeking such revenge continues. This is a natural growth from the original film so it being the full-blown subject of the second film is no surprise, except I didn't actually think they were going to do it. The first film gives off the Attitude that, though Afro is a vicious homicidal killer, we should like him because he's cool and acts cool and he's voiced by Samuel Jackson, one of the coolest actors alive. It comes off as a paragon of the ol' "style over substance" mentality which films, Television and other forms of media have continued to do ever since Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers first started making Banal movies where they just tap dances nicely. This sequel, certainly not the most intelligent film ever made, at least tries harder to go beyond the surface of the characters and find out what makes them tick.

I might be giving more credit to the movie then it rightfully deserves, maybe but I can't help but encourage more of this in sequels. Unlike the original which gives you the feeling of inconsequential things happening at roughly the same exact time which makes up the movie, this time each and every character, incident and battle Afro has culminates to an ending where Afro has to look straight into the eyes of his own past, his own ways of life, and to see the deep dark secrets and inner demons we ourselves refuse to see when the source of that which you;ve done immense evil for stares back and you and makes you question why you did it. it shifts the entire characters world and helps make Afro something he had never been in the first movie: Human. What he does to acquire the #2 headband is cruel, mean-spirited and unjust and the best part? The character of Afro seems to actually agree with that sentament.

What's even better is that those things that made the first movie good are back and sometimes even better then before. The art-style is even more fused with a cross between Urban Graffiti art and traditional Japanese Water colors seemingly blending into an art that, maybe not extremely substantial, is unbelievably stylish. The return of the Rza is a happy occasion since he sometimes makes the most interesting music you wouldn't necessary see in such a scene (Kill bill Vol.1, right before the Crazy 88 fight. would you hear that song playing in the background if it wasn't a Tarantino movie? I thought so.). The BGM is arguable if it is better in the first movie or this one but either one helps set the mode.

Even better is the fact that this time the action steps up a notch, Afro's adversaries aren't just mindless drones to tear to ribbons under his steel, this time a lot of them hold up against him in imaginative, creative and thrilling fights that need to be seen to be believed. Not only are the fighters this time more competent, but they hold philosophies and beliefs that make them want to fight, make them need to defeat Afro almost as much as Afro feels he needs to defeat them, probably even more.

Am I overpraising this film? Probably, but I can't help site a work which increases the overall feeling, tones, themes, and imagery that the original did. It keeps what made the original work and develops what it didn't have, and brings in things you only wished they had in the original. This film is definitely better then the original and, Given the perfect way they ended this film, I'm hoping the third tops this one in spades.

Whew boy is this long! well, either way that's all I'm saying. I know it's opinions and everyone has opinions, but I'm smart, smarter then you, so I'm right :-D

Matu's avatar By Matu on Feb 17, 2012

I recommend you watch the original Afro Samurai before watching Afro Samurai: Resurrection.  Here is my review of the original series.

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't watched the original series, this review may spoil important plot details!!!  Read on at your own risk.

Afro, having claimed the Number One Headband, is living a peaceful life, but that is quickly shattered by a new foe.  Once again, Afro must go on a mission to claim revenge for his father, but this time, it seems his father may have something to say about it....from beyond the grave.

The story of Afro Samurai: Resurrection (AF:R) is incredibly moving.  Unlike the original series, this movie has the potential to make you cry.  Afro, Jinno and others must fight through heart-breaking circumstances (And of course brutal battles) this time.  Don't expect many happy endings from AF:R.

Animation:

The animation was essentially the same as in the Afro Samurai series, Japanese/Western.  The fight scenes are still as beautifully gory as ever, with very smooth animations.

Sound:

The sound was provided by the same artist who made the soundtrack for the original series, so it was much the same hip-hop/R&B theme, which is by no means a bad thing in this setting.

Most of the characters from AF:R are the same ones from the original series, but with a few additions.  The old characters (Afro, Jinno, some of the Clan of the Empty Seven) have their backgrounds explored more thoroughly than in Afro Samurai.  I loved these stories, as I was finally able to discover what happened in these characters' past to make them what they are.

The main villain of this movie, Sio, is a sexy, manipulative woman set on killing Afro in the most painful (physically and emotionally) way possible.  She is great, not just for her abundant fanservice, but for how ridiculously evil she is.

Final Thoughts:

This Anime Is... A Masterpiece.  An amazing, emotional ending to Afro Samurai, it perfectly captures the excellence of the original series and ends it with a truly satisfying battle.

Should I Watch This Anime? Without a doubt.  If you enjoyed the original Afro Samurai, you NEED to watch AF:R.  Even if you didn't like the first series, you may like this movie.  Watch it! Now!

8.5/10 characters