Ace wo Nerae!

kenikki's avatar By kenikki on May 8, 2012

Initially, it wasn't bad at all. As I started watching it, I was sitting in my room, delighted to see what would become the oldest anime in my 'watched library' (Macross now being #2). I giggled with it occasionally, and I laughed at it more than occasionally for it's hilariously outdated visuals and audio, and just how little the shoujo genre has evolved since the late '70s.

But then, after about 5 or 6 episodes, something started to change. It grew in... stupidity, and began repeating itself. Story lines and plot point which had already been resolved - with major climaxes - were for some reason ignored that they had been resolved. Both by the characters of the show, and seemingly the creators.

And as if that wasn't enough, it seemed as if the writer thought to him/herself "I don't think our leading lady is insecure and whiny enough". Which honestly, she kind of was. But from this point on, those aspects are magnified by a multitude. Whenever Oka isn't admiring one of senior players - which she often does - you can replace about 90% of her dialogue with self-pitying whining. It doesn't take much for her to go from happy or proud to sobbing like a trekkie watching Spock's funeral or me watching the final scene from Honey & Clover II.
Making a character emotional and having him/her cry here and there is not a bad thing. In fact, I prefer when characters are able to access and show their emotions. But having them cry for every little insult or set-back merely annoys me.

To be fair, she's not like that all of the time. And while her character development is there, it's limited to very last few episodes. Hell, Otawa grows more as a character than Oki. A few other character also develop a bit, but it's so miniscule for them that it's barely worth mentioning.

Since I've already clearly stated my opinion of the anime as a whole, I'll hastily name some more issues I had with it; The bitchiness of the background members of the tennis club goes from stereotypically amusing to tiring and stupid, since it's so old and the animations are horrendeous the tennis matches are sleep indulgingly boring, the amount of times Oki gets hit by tennis balls during practice should be counted as physical abuse, and maybe worst of all, there's no real goal for Oki in the series. The only things that could be labeled as goals would be that she and the coach want her to become better at tennis, and that is very weak.

In summary, there are only a few anime which have irritated me to this degree and it's not something one can simply blame it's age for. I cannot recommend this to anyone. Not a single person. And I'll give it the very low score of 2/10.

DaVince's avatar By DaVince on Feb 5, 2014

First off, excuse the crude language that I'll start off with.

I watched all of it.

I fucking watched all of it.

To anyone wanting to watch this series: it's bad. So bad it's good. Sure, the tennis matches hardly look like matches and not a single match can be fully watched and understood, but that's actually a good thing.

The Good:

It's so good because it's so bad.

The intro and ending songs are just hilarious and charmingly old-fashioned.

It's not at all drawn out like some other sports anime *cough*CaptainTsubasa*cough*. Every time there is a match, it tends to end within an episode.

The Bad:

It's so bad it's good.

The first batch of episodes have quite bad subtitling (hard-coded and full of untranslated stuff and inaccuracies).

The Ugly:

The style. Prepare for people with eyes reflecting technicolour galaxies, constant inconsistencies in faces and random ghosts/mannequins for background people.

The incredible cheesyness. From the start, this sets out to be incredibly cliche. It does its job of being one giant cliche very well.

A bunch of cat(?) abuse for the sake of humour. But the cat(?) doesn't seem to mind. Actually, rather than calling it a cat, maybe I should call it a mop.

The story is really simple, full of cliches and full of moments where you will say "but they could have easily solved that by doing XYZ". Don't watch it for the story. Though it ends rather well, still.

Watch this series ironically and it'll be totally worth it. Or if you don't want to, you could always watch the first episode with Chip and Ironicus.