Acchi Kocchi

Alt titles: Place to Place

AngelBeatsYui's avatar By AngelBeatsYui on May 6, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

So this is my review for the slice of life/romance/moe anime Acchi Kocchi. So lets get started...the story to start of is sweet and light-hearted. However was slightly random when you look at it. In the end it was you typical school life/slice of life animes. The animation was pretty simple when it came to character designs, however these designs fitted the style of anime it was so it was ok...

The music now, the opening was cute and like normal it fit the genre of the anime pretty well. The ending I didn't really listen to but when I did it was cute and like the opening it fit the genre quite well. The characters I was quite disappointed with, they were your typical characters...which was quite boring, their personalities were simple and just about all the characters were really undeveloped...however I don't think character development was the main focus.

Overall this was a very expected anime and it disappointed me in some areas but it is a good watch if you want something light to watch maybe after a more serious anime, I guess. But that finishes our very short review for Acchi Kocchi. In the end I gave it a 6/10!

VGCKenny's avatar By VGCKenny on Oct 5, 2012

Sometimes it's fruitful to take a step back and examine the basic workings of what we have come to accept. Like taking apart a cheeseburger to see just exactly what's in it and how much effort actually went into making it. Acchi Kocchi is a romantic-comedy without a gimmick. No dumb vampire lore, no petty revenge plot, no bullshit gynophobia problems, just she likes him, and she's coy about it and BAM! There's your anime.

Acchi Kocchi is the story of Tsumiki struggling to confess her crush on her friend Io. That's it. That's the whole extent of the plot. It presents itself as a sort of slice of life way, and that works pretty well. Tsumiki is a well defined character, and her shyness card is not the only one in her deck. She feels more like an actual human being, rather than a marionette going through the motions of a romcom. She takes herself seriously, and is incredibly strong, and yet she still lets her feminine side out whenever she can. Now, I have said before that I have a weakness for shy characters, and now is as good a time as any to explain why. Basically, there are three reasons. 1: I feel shyness is a good place to start to build character development. There are many ways to characterize shyness, whether it be eventually drawing them out or even just understanding what they're shy about. It presents a slew of never ending possibilities. 2: Shyness is a very relateable trait for many people, including myself. Most people have been shy in any number of situations, and I feel close to shy characters because I'm not very good at approaching people I don't know, or even people I do know at some times. 3: THEY'RE SO ADORABLE! Tsumiki provides great examples of all three. Her shyness characterizes her greatly, I could relate to her problems very well and SHE'S SO ADORABLE! Needless to say, she's the best character of the show.

The rest of the cast is pretty good too. Io is the oblivious love interest of the show. I will say, his characterization is slow going, but around episode 5 or 6 I think, his characterization gets really good and is characterized outside of an oblivious cool person who could get any girl he wants. Their friends are also pretty well-developed to the extent that they need to be as well. Hime is the confused nice girl who finds cuteness in anything she can. Sakaki is the guy who's all talk but is pretty much the buttmonkey of the whole group. Mayoi is the strange, enigmatic inventor of the group and the buttmonkey runner-up. Those three provide a good chunk of the humor in the series and they're all likeable to at least some extent.

The art is pretty good, but I feel it could have been better. It's not bad, I just feel it's trying too hard. The art is interestingly light and fluffy, but also just a tad unreal. I feel the art could have tried harder a little bit. It's still good and interesting and all, but it needs work.

The music does a good job fitting the mood. It matches the mood of the scene just right. It's nice and slow when it wants us to take it seriously, and it gets all loud and bombastic whenever something funny happens. Though, the opening is kind of not fitting. It's goofy and pop-y and just doesn't seem to match the show all the way. It's a good song, but I think the effort was mis-placed. The ending theme is very good though. It's nice, soft, and relaxing, just what you'd expect from this.

As for the voices, they do a great job at bringing out what we love about the cast. For each emotion that these characters have, the voice-actor finds a voice suitable for it. Everyone is perfectly cast and performs their character excellently.

The humor of the show is what I really like about Acchi Kocchi. It has some very great lively subtle humor. That portion of humor directly stems from the crush that Tsumiki has on Io. It's both adorable and really hilarious. However, Acchi Kocchi also has some humor that's about as subtle as a drunk clown at a rave. I think they could have used less of that though, and focus more on the subtle humor of it all. Still, to its credit, the non-subtle humor is still funny and doesn't take away from the subtle humor, and it does give Hime, Sakaki, and Mayoi more characterization. I think they focused more on that kind of humor because the creators weren't sure that the subtle humor alone could draw in as many viewers, and that's understandable. No matter what it is, there's always at least one member of the audience that can't understand something more complex than throwing a pie at someone's face, and designing something to draw in more of an audience is understandable, and it works in this case because it doesn't ruin any of the subtle humor that not everyone understands. The humor is very funny in either area and enjoyable.

Overall: Acchi Kocchi is a very good anime. The characters are great, the humor is funny, the production values are splendid and it's an overall enjoyable experience. It does have some flaws, but the good outweighs the bad tenfold. 8.7/10

8.6/10 story
8.5/10 animation
9.4/10 sound
9.3/10 characters
8.7/10 overall
randomredneck's avatar By randomredneck on Jun 29, 2012

Greetings, fellow anime viewers. It's the one and thankfully only RandomRedneck, here with another review for all y'all. Checking out a show because of total boredom can lead to either good or bad things. In this case, it was a good thing. A hilarious, almost annoyingly cuteness good thing. This, is Acchi Kocchi. Let us begin, shall we?

STORY

Being a comedy about high school students, the story isn't exactly amazing. You've got your typical, episodic type deals here. Having snowball fights, visiting a shrine on New Years, Valentines Day, that sort of thing. But that is in no way a bad thing. It actually works rather well for this show.

ANIMATION

Animation is alright. It shines best during the action-y sort of stuff. like the aforementioned snowball fight, kick the can, volleyball, and so on. Basically, if it's a common kids game, this show will animate it like an action show. And it's pretty awesome.

SOUND

Not really much to mention on the sound front. The opening and ending theme are pretty nice, and the VA's all do good jobs voicing their characters.

CHARACTERS

Hetalia had personifications of countries. Upotte!! had personifications of guns. This show has basically the personification of utter cutenness, in one Tsumiki Miniwa. I mean...good lord. This girl is basically walking cute in human shape. The cat ears help a lot in that regard. Her utterly oblivious crush, Io, is a good character as well. A stoic pencil twirler, with a badass streak in him to boot. He rules. Rounding out the ensemble is Mayoi, a cat mouthed troll with a penchant for weird inventions, Hime, the token sweet and ditzy girl, and Sakaki, who is...Sakaki. Can't exactly describe him very well here. Characters are a great selling point for this show.

OVERALL

This show manages to be annoyingly cute, utterly hilarious, and nicely heartwarming, sometimes all at once. A definite watch if you're looking for a show to make you smile. Check out Acchi Kocchi. You won't be sorry. Thank you.

Yours truly,

RandomRedneck.

6.5/10 story
Komirai's avatar By Komirai on Aug 5, 2012

“Um, m-marriage is where your life goes to drink.”
When I first saw this anime while browsing for brand new anime releases, this anime came into view. My first thoughts… Probably just one of those cliché anime comedy romances. Well I got the comedy romance part right, but the cliché part I couldn’t have been any more wrong. Forgive me Otaku God for calling this anime cliché *goes on hands and knees* The jokes are quite fresh and new, and the romance is so adorable your most likely going to die from potential blood loss coming out of your nose.

Plot:
The plot is quite simple beyond beliefs; there is no complexity about it in anyway. Even a five year old can understand it. The anime is about the love between two high schoolers, and what fate awaits them. Well to put it simply all you’re watching is Io and Tsumiki’s relationship grow each and every episode, while at the same time, watching the other characters bug the heck out the both of them, mostly Tsumiki though. Even though this anime requires no extreme thought into understanding what the fudge it’s about, this anime is probably the only anime of its kind that has a perfect way of displaying plot development. Each and every episode, it shows a subtle amount of growth in a relationship from grabbing onto a coat to feeding your lover a spoonful of delicious goodness. This anime just isn’t about romance though; it also does a heck of a good job of making me choke from the amount of laughter produced. Sure not every part of this anime is so funny that it’s enough to make Grumpy from Snow White laugh, but hey I betcha a quarter that he would sniffle a giggle. Which means, whether you’re a Happy or a Grumpy you’re definitely going to laugh, giggle, snort, or even nose bleed when watching this comedy romance filled Heaven!

Soon to be lovers, Io and Tsumiki are the ideal anime couple of 2012 with their excellent way of showing character development! Each and every episode, one way or another, shows some tiny sign of character development which is definitely one of Acchi Kocchi’s proud strong points. Their budding relationship is so cute that it even puts Kamichama Karin’s Kazune and Karin’s adorable relationship to shambles! Now why don’t we highlight the extraordinary features of these soon to be lovers? Tsumiki is not your average tsundere, unlike most tsunderes she has that cool and collective attitude that boys go crazy for, however that’s not all; she has her cute side too which proves it with those kawaii cat ears that pop up now and again. Tsumiki is also a fantastic cook, adorable singer, and a super strong woman. There’s no doubt that she’s the ideal woman for most men! Now last but not least let us introduce the one the only, Io Otanoshi! Io may be quite oblivious to many things, but he makes up for it with those devilish good looks and charm that the Gods and Goddesses of Anime had blessed him with. Io like Tsumiki, is also a fantastic cook, but that’s not all, he’s also got the skills of a ninja! He’s every woman’s dream man! But that’s not at all, Acchi Kocchi also has Hime Haruno our nose bleeding princess, Sakaki the awesome pevert who is strangely similar to Yohei Sunohara, and Mayoi Katose the strange girl with a knack for technology.

Art:
If there is one thing I have learned from watching countless anime shows with a variety of different and yet unique art styles, I have come to the conclusion that the art style used in an anime should somehow fit the plot and genre of the anime. For example, in a horror anime, you need a somewhat mysterious and dark feel which will cause the hearts of its viewer a feel of slight uneasiness. In this case, however, you have a romance comedy anime with its goal being to somehow cause the hearts and souls of its viewers a feeling of relaxation, happiness, laughter, and adoration. To successfully put all these wonderful feelings together the animators had used an art style similar to that of Lucky Star’s. However, that is not all; the animators had also used graphics, effects, and the hearts and souls of those who love cute things too not only woo their viewers into a zombie like state in which people will stare adoringly at their computer screen, but also a near death experience where the viewer’s soul have somehow died and gone to a world of pure bliss.

Music:
“I don’t know anything about the meaning of love; I just want to look at you all the time.” That my anime friends are a small part of the cutesy lyrics to the anime’s opening “Acchi de Kocchi de.” Like most openings to animes the lyrics somehow in some way relate to the anime’s plot, cutesy and romantic for this one. The voice actors used in this anime are in no doubt, specialists. These seiyuus had successfully and utterly pulled down the red carpet and walked dazzlingly across it smilingly handsomely at all those other rejected seiyuus and said, “Tough luck kids, maybe next time.” Very unbelievable if I do say so myself that a few voice actors could be as so professional as to pull off the stupidity, cuteness, embarrassment, and all those other fanciful adjectives I type randomly just to make this paragraph longer. “If I grin and nyaa, I’ll know you’ll scratch my back.” And that was just extremely adorable lyrics to the anime’s ending song "Te wo Gyu Shite ne” which is just as adorable and pleasant as Tsumiki with her cat ears which I know most people are as so tempted to pull.

Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Dec 16, 2012

Story: You know what? Skip the story. You aren't here for the overall thing and the most I know is "This adorable girl, so cute and adorable- likes this guy but is too shy and tsundere to confess. With their friends, since they hang out and all, hijinks ensue". See? It's the usual premise for a show about comedic hijinks based around a group of adolescent friends but it works. It's funny, it's heart stoppingly cute and pretty damn entertaining. For here, more on writing than actual plots.

The events they partake in, all the usual stuff; festivals, physicals, camping trip with that cabin they all stay in, has all the staples but it does it well and the manner it does it in is pretty spiffy. Turning a game of volleyball or air hockey into something awesome or mundane sutuations into something no sane person would do all adds to it and makes it more of a joking slapstick school comedy than just mere comedic school life fare. That sense of wackiness, ya know?

And those Kindergarden bits at the end, HOLY SHIT IT'S ADORABLE.

Animation: Oh good lord. Tsumiki, Tsumiki, Tsumiki. I cannot say it enough, she is so, so, ridiculously adorable. As a petite gal, she's cute, almost overwhelmingly so. But add in some cat ears, a cat tail and she becomes-

It should be illegal to be that cute.

Everything else is fine and dandy but not overwhelmingly detailed. It's real nice to look at and pretty charming in it's own right. Little visual quirks, constant cat smile with Mayoi, Io's awesome pen spinning, visual gags and those running visual gags make up for the easy-on-the-eyes animation.

Sound: I love my gratuitous English and this has it in good amounts. That snowball episode and Mayoi come to mind and the VO overall do a pretty dang good job. Verbal tics included, especially nya. The OP I adored and was... childish? Zany? Suited it at least, and it really worked for me but EP's not as memorable.

Characters: Tsumiki is the personification of moe. It's moe to the umpteenth degree that makes me squee and oh my god, it's so ridiculously adorable! So adorable. This show's not high on development but the characters are so lovable that it hardly matters. From the chaotic duo Sakaki and Mayoi to the stoic awesome of Io, the nose bleeding naive Hime and the rest, they sell the show and make it fun.

Overall: Ridiculously cute, fun, funny and an enjoyable school comedy with hints of romance and the lovable tsundere where everybody knows her crush but the object of her affections.

8.5/10 sound