A Little Snow Fairy Sugar

Alt titles: Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, Chiccha na Yuki Tsukai Sugar

Nomasama's avatar By on Feb 8, 2016

To be fair, I may have made a mistake in deviating from my usual genre preferences. I was trying to broaden my horizons. However there may be other viewers like me, and it may help to put this review out there. Bear in mind, I only watched a handful of episodes. I did not and could not finish the anime, though I would like to for the sake of not leaving it hanging out there forever.

The anime is very, very slow, and for the length that the anime is I think that's a critical flaw. This is particularly true because much of the content in the episodes feels like padding. Sometimes it feels like the characters are babbling for no reason -- neither plot nor character development.

What really killed my hope for the anime, however, is that during the "intense" scenes the anime failed to make me feel any worry that the characters were in real danger. Even in silly series (like OPM where you know Saitama is going to come out on top) you need to be able to capture the viewer and lock their eyes on the screen. On the contrary, it was very hard for me to stay focused.

In other words it was an effort to watch, and that's not precisely why I watch anime.

I'm not going to give up on the story altogether, though. If it has a matching manga I'm going to give that a try because I can read and get through a hell of a lot more content that way than I can while watching an episode. Once I do, if I like the manga I will return to the anime and write a second review in the case my feelings have changed.

angelsreviews's avatar By on Aug 6, 2013

This is a very cute and childish show that touches the heart. It has a whimsical story and atmosphere as though this was an old German fairy tail. Sadly, a lot of things that the characters act feels like Japan more then Germany.

Saga feels way too grown up and actually talks back to the older people. She always makes plains to do things at a special time period even going down to the second. She’s mostly a know it all who believes every needs a plan for everything. She says no to anyone who tries to give her something for free and strives to be the very best at things. Even though she does this, when she first sees Sugar, she doesn’t think its odd.

Sugar is really cute even though I would be annoyed too if someone would keep kissing me like how she does that. It’s interesting that Sugar and Saga look almost exactly alike, which brings the idea that Sugar is Saga’s childhood. If you want to get into the idea of this show showing not to grow up to fast, Sugar is like her child self asking her to stop being so grown up and to act like a kid again.

The animation is really bright and childish like a story book. It works well and brings the feeling of old Germany to light. Strangely, it feels like Belgium instead of Germany with all the waffles that are in it.

The voices are somewhat alright but Saga’s English voice is somewhat annoying. Its way to cutesy for a girl of her age. She sounds like Sakura from Card Captor Sakura. Greta feels really snobby. All in all, the English voices are not really the best and in this case, I would go more for the Japanese version. The music adds to the whimsical feel and is never to overpowering for the scenes. You can tell sometimes which fairy is around because the music changes a bit.

Dralha's avatar By on Oct 4, 2009

This is a cute anime. Very cute. Teeth-rotting, sugary cute. But it is addictive...Sugar, Salt, and Pepper are three season fairy apprentices who are searching the human world for "twinkles" in order to become full-fledged fairies. They "recruit" a girl named Saga, the only one who can see them, to assist them in their quest. While the series is geared more towards light-hearted comedy, at its core is a truly heartwarming tale of love and friendship.