5 Centimeters per Second

Alt titles: Byousoku 5 Centimeter

AngelBeatsYui's avatar By AngelBeatsYui on Jun 9, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers

This review is for the movie 5cm per second, to start off this movie is slow-paced and slightly confusing with the sections but in the end it made sense. The storyline is like your basic romance story with a twist this is what makes it so different compared to the typical romance, the story reminded me of the Clannad and Clannad After Story anime, and if you watch it the basic story is pretty similar. The story overall is detailed and quite cute when it came round to it. The animation was really cool, the scenery and character designs were really detailed and they fit the theme perfectly.  I can’t really say much other than the story was pretty rushed due to it being fit into a hour but that is just me.

The music is the only thing I can’t really remember much about, but when I did hear it the few songs in the background were cute and they again fit the theme just about perfectly, this is one thing that made the anime what it was. The characters for the ones they focused on were pretty well explained and each of the main characters story were truly amazing when it came to detail. There again isn’t much to say in this case.

The overall movie was really detailed and I was shocked when I saw the detail in both the story and the characters, I was really impressed. I say if you liked the idea of a one-off slow-paced movie, just as an extra to watch this would be a perfect choice and that ends my 2nd monthly marathon review.

~AngelBeatsYui~

vivafruit's avatar By vivafruit on Sep 8, 2007

With 5 Centimeters per Second, Shinkai Makoto has polished the elements that made his previous anime so heartbreakingly poignant and produced a wonderful work. If the film did not have a disappointing third arc, this would be his best work thus far and probably the best of the year.

5 cm’s story will feel warmly familiar to those who have already had the pleasure of watching the director’s work. Makoto is still very much obsessed with capturing the sheer, unrivaled beauty of an impossible love. No matter how cruelly fate intervenes, his protagonists cling desperately and determinedly to their love, as if it were a lone piece of driftwood amidst an angry and roiling ocean. These themes are no less powerful here than they were when Makoto first explored them, and should strike a chord in all but the most hyperactive viewers.

While 5 cm foregoes the science-fiction elements that Makoto is usually known for, the down-to-earth, slice-of-life story is never boring. If Makoto’s first two major stories had anything wrong with them at all, it was that Voices of a Distant Star was too simplistic and The Place Promised in Our Early Days had too much excess baggage. In 5 cm, however, Makoto finds the perfect mix; the film manages to be wonderfully rich without having a trace of unnecessary plotting. For the first two parts of the film, 5 cm meets and even exceeds Makoto’s former material.

Only the third and decidedly imperfect act prevents me from scoring 5 cm as highly as Makoto’s first two works. Sadly, I can’t help but believe that Makoto ran out of either time or funding, because the final arc is rushed and sloppy. For one, the episode makes a key mistake of introducing a new character and then doing almost nothing with her. Even more disastrously, the haphazard pacing actually serves to undermine the message that I think Makoto is going for. As a result, the final product feels positively amputated.

As a whole, however, 5 cm is still a heartrendingly powerful work. As Makoto continues to release these somber masterpieces, the fact that they must be partially autobiographical becomes increasingly clear. Makoto’s raw and heartbreaking material feels so personal and intimate that he could only be drawing from his own bittersweet memory.

When I reviewed The Place Promised in Our Early Days several years ago, I said that the movie had the best animation that I had ever seen up to that point, and that the visuals would not likely be surpassed for some time. Well, I seem to have been mistaken; Makoto’s new visual masterpiece surpasses even his own monumental work.

Many will recognize the numerous similarities in style between 5 cm and Makoto's other works. In particular, 5 cm’s power lines, gorgeous portraits of cloudy skies, and ubiquitous use of lighting to set the mood will feel extremely familiar. However, while the two film’s visuals are similar, everything that made The Place Promised in Our Early Days so impressive has been improved to the point of near perfection. There is an added level of detail here in 5 cm that will raise the bar on every anime released after it.

I've been been suspecting this for some time, but 5 cm utterly proves that Makoto is the best in the world at animating light. No one else even comes close.

This uncanny ability allows Makoto to draw beauty from even the most mundane scenes. Most anime directors need to use fantastic, action-filled scenes to excite the audience. Makoto, on the other hand, can amaze us with nothing more than a boy sitting alone in an ordinary Japanese train. He’s just that good.

For the most part, the soundtrack is excellent. For one, the quiet, understated instrumental music fits the somber and contemplative mood of the story well. There’s also a fairly good and completely unexpected JPop song near the end. The extremely emotional tune is completely different from the rest of the soundtrack, and jerks the audience out of wistful reverie and into active grief (a similar tactic was used in Pale Cocoon). The song somewhat eases the lack of a satisfying ending, although it's still certainly no substitute.

Additionally, the film’s urban sound effects are so universally excellent that I actually noticed them as I was watching the show. The sounds of the train system that the protagonist rides in the first part are particularly immersive.

Like in Makoto’s other works, the characters are essentially blank slates. They have no defining characteristics, and have only a minimal amount of development. Thus, many might criticize 5 cm’s characters as shallow and unmemorable. However, the lack of development gives the events an undeniably universal feel. Since the characters are so undefined, empathizing with what happens to them becomes extremely easy. As a result the film feels much more personal than if the characters had been more unique.

I will complain, however, about the character introduced in the final arc. The story does almost nothing with her, and as a result she feels unnecessary and superfluous.

7.5/10 story
Peweshtry's avatar By Peweshtry on Jan 8, 2013

I liked it and it was a very good anime movie but for me in my opinion it wasn't that sad for me. Thats all i have to say >.>

Vague's avatar By Vague on Sep 16, 2011

So, this review is going to be a little different than my normal reviews...

I can't rate the categories like I normally would because I don't really know what to think about the anime in general. I'm in between rage and despair and enjoyment...I guess. When the movie ended I sat there for a minute wondering why I wasn't just straight up pissed that I had wasted a good 45 min of my life...for some reason, I just couldn't hate it...or love it.

The story is pretty depressing. Two childhood friends and potential lovers are separated and the story is three short segments, from different points of view, about the distance between them. You mainly get the guy's story about growing up and not living up to his potential because he's mega depressed about not being with the girl. You just kind of assume it's the same story for the girl. The whole story is so depressing that by the end you're thinking it has to get better but...SPOILER ALERT...it doesn't.

I think this has something to do with the fact that I couldn't hate the movie...I really like the animation. The scenery is very vivid and really matches the mood throughout the whole thing.

Unimpressionable.

Pretty bland. Again, the majority of the movie is focused on the depressed guy...I guess they could have been great people but I don't really know. You get a point of view segment from some chick that falls in the love with the guy in high school, of course he's not interested, and she's pretty annoying.

Overall- 5/10

It's not that this movie is "low" in the rankings...in my mind it's literally right in the middle between like and dislike. It's pretty popular and well-known I guess so if you don't mind being depressed for about 45 minutes then by all means watch it.

Another time, another review.

Wirusan's avatar By Wirusan on Jul 3, 2014

Foreword

Ah, 5cm Per Second, the speed at which my teardrops fall. Was it good? Is it Overated? WILL YOU FEEL? Well here's Wiru-sans take on it to answer those questions! Lets get started but first let me grab something....

Handy dandy tear sponges

When I see something that I really want to watch I put it on my watch list and I avoid seeing any and everything about it so I go into the movie completely blind. I don't watch the trailers, AMV's, or look up plot details. I go into the movie knowing the name and general theme. With that said this anime was NOT what I expected it threw me off completely. The story revolves around Takaki Tono and his affection Akari Shinohara

The story follows  a sereis of three shorts taken place at different points in time. These are all in order but it was very jarring for me to see the credits roll after the first short ended I was super angry, then I shortly noticed they made them as shorts. The movie encapsulates the notion of love and how it is in the real world. It is about distance and how to deal with the varying types of distances in your life, emotional and physical. Hence the name 5 Centimeters Per Second (Which is a cool ass name) It is the speed at which cherry blossoms fall to the ground. It is also the speed it takes for this anime to stab my feels

The story provides a lot of character development  and we see Takaki grow physically and mentally. This story however isn't sunshine and rainbows it can get utterly depressing at times...Most of the time. The movie should be called "The Melancholy of Takai Tono

terrible photoshop is terrible

The ending for this anime is probably hit or miss for a lot of people. My first impression of the ending was a bit like this

What the feel? Is that it?

and i'm sure a lot of other people where like that too. Without giving too much away I want to say we are so used to seeing the hollywood ending that when we don't see it we think there's something wrong. However this is not true , endings need to match up with the shows tone and wrap up the overall theme and this one does so perfectly.

(I made a gif of what the final scene felt like to me. Spoilers ahead so if you haven't seen the movie don't click the link)

Story: 10

The motherfucking animation in this damn movie is fantastic. The scenery is beatuiful, character designs are beautiful. This shit almost looks real at times.

I don't think anymore needs to be said just watch the movie it is undeniable the animation is great. Sure there are probably some times where it isn't AS good as other scenes but it is consistently great throught the entire movie and for that it gets a 10

Animation 10

My LORD the sound!

Ok it's actually more like this

Makoto Shinkai knows what he wants the music in his movies to sound like and whatever he chooses always fits perfectly. This movie could literally be just scenery and music and it'd still be enjoyable. This music evokes so much emotion out of you, I can't listen to the score without catching the feels. Tenmon composed the music and for every tear that was shed he gained 5 years on his life span so Tenmon is immortal now. The music for each part has it's own feel to it for the first short the music seems innocent and passionate.

While the music for the second part has a country feel to it, and can be exhilirating at times. It speaks so well for the setting and what the characters

The music for the third part kind of reflects on the first one, the music in the final short to me feels almost like it's completely focoused upon reflection. The ending theme fits perfectly, it's like that piece you've been dying to have in tetris

As for the dub and the sub they are both equal in terms of quality.So you're good with either or.

Sound 10

The cast of 5cm is a small one with 3 main characters mainly focousing on 2 of them.

The Main two are:

Takaki Tono

&

Akari Shinohara

The story follows these two childhood friends who develop feelings for each other. Little do they know life has it's on developments for the both of them and they both have to face them and deal with the results.

The third character is

Kanae Sumida

Kane is a country girl who has trouble studying and concentrating, and like everyone her age she really doesn't know what she wants to do with her life.

The Characters in 5cm all feel real, while there are some minor characters I didn't mention these  are the main characters and the ones you see the most development out of. Each character learns a lesson of their own about distance and their lessons are all ones we need to learn in our lives.

Characters: 10

Overall

5cm per second does it's job, it shows a realer side to love than most animes, or even movies do. This anime is truly outstanding and definately has earned it's spot on my shelf in my dvd collection. I gladly give 5cm per second a 10/10

Verdict: Outstanding

5cm per second gets a Must Watch rating with a high Buy It!

My first 10/10. A 10 does not indicate perfection it is a score giving to animes that are truly outstanding and are examples of what we should see more of in this industry

As always this is ya boy Wiru-san's take, make sure you follow me on my blog Guyfawx.tumblr.com and on youtube under the channel SwordnKey. And stay away from woodchippers!