07-Ghost

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Dec 22, 2011

PROPER MINDSET
I’m not homophobic nor I see women only as sex toys and yet I can’t help myself from making fun of an obviously poorly written series that appeals mostly through erotic aesthetics, rather than good directing and character emersion. It had quite the big fandom when it aired, most of which were girls who loved the manga. And to no surprise, most of them were quite fond of yaoi. We all know how much quality that genre has, right?

It’s not the only problem you can find in it. The anime is made by DEEN, which is of course the worst of all famous studios; a thing which shows easily in their constantly lazy production values and poor directing. Even the director likes to do things as dull as possible. His career is plain passable, as his only famous work is the tv version of Record of Lodoss War, which may have been good heroic fantasy, but still one heck of a boring show. Later on he directed Beelzebub, an action/comedy shounen, and every fan of the manga will tell you he did a crappy job with it. The guy is simply not good at his work and this show is yet another example.

ART
[Don’t I look hot in this robe?]

A blend of medieval fantasy and science fiction, the artwork is both catchy and interesting. There was much work and detail given into making surfaces and textures to look fairy tale-ish so the series manages to attract you on first looks with its amazing combination of clergy life, occult mystery and military super-soldier projects. So, yeah, the general looks of this series are captivating.

This is also a series of bishounens, so it will be extra captivating to fujoshis. Everybody is made to look like a dream boy any fangirl would kill just to touch his hair. They have glances and smirks that can lure you into their arms in less than 3 seconds. There are some women and old people as well but they are just background decoration or cute mascots, like a perky mermaid, a fuzzy pink critter and a trio of aloof sisters. Most of what you see in the foreground is bishounens women dig and men are envious of.

Although I find it lame to have a picture-perfect cast, I must admit that this series was MADE to be eye candy for a female audience, pretty much like an average harem is full of bimbos and nude aiming at a male audience. This series is almost devoid of nude or blunt fan service yet it doesn’t take much to understand that the characters are made to look and act all erotic. This is NOT a negative aspect; the target audience loves this sort of thing. They are dream males acting all moe and a fine looking cast is what you should expect from it.

And here is where things are one big mess. Action scenes and visual effects are terrible! Choreography is a joke, explosions never damage the background, magic attacks feel like a different layer of flashy computer rendered visuals not unified with the rest of the artwork. Characters stand too much still and flap their mouths, jumping is just a static picture scrolling. And many, many more. I mean, how the hell is Teito sitting on that spiky top in the intro song without sticking it in his ass? The entire series pays no attention to physics. That practically makes all battles completely boring and fake looking as the characters just shake their hands and magic stuff happen that don’t react with the environment or the characters in a believable way. I understand the series was never about the action but this is too much. If you are going to make it so bad, don’t make it at all. The only thing you are left to gasp at are the pretty faces of the males. More specifically, their frozen still faces with the innuendo smirk while their hair and cloths flap in the wind with a few repeating frames. This is very cheap. The series is awesome when you look at individual frozen frames; but looking at the animation during battles and moving as a whole is just ruining most of it.

SOUND
[-I love you Mikage! … in an erotically innuendo way only!]

Generally pleasing voice acting; they all seem to fit with the roles of their characters. None has an amazing voice pattern and many mascot characters are way too silly sounding to actually take anything too seriously, while the non-stop feeling that everyone in this series is a crypto-gay kind of ruins the otherwise importance of listening to them while talking about grave matters.

Very pleasing OST, easily making your mind travel. Using chorus rarely creates a bad result; even the silly pop songs were elegiac enough to make your mind travel to magic worlds. So sure, I liked them songs. Not that I consider them great but they did manage to make me interested into listening further.

SCRIPT
[Oh forget about the fate of the world and just look at me walking elegantly.]

Ok, seriously, this is not a series you watch for the story. It sounds mighty interesting as a concept with military secret ops, mystical temples, scary ghosts, gay innuendos, a sort of detective feeling, a lot of daily fantasy life, you name it. The general idea is mighty interesting. But… Slow! Very slow! Most episodes don’t even seem to progress the plot and the rest just drag it to the point where you only learn something new just for ten seconds per episode. Seriously, they could have taken out half the episodes and it still wouldn’t feel rushed.

It is a straight forward story, centered on five people in a world of millions. And that wouldn’t be a problem if it was set-up to be a simple story. Yet it isn’t one; it has world shaking events in it. It stays too focused on a few aspects (the military base and the temple) of an otherwise huge and complicating setting. With terrible battle choreography, plot with the speed of a snail and a picture perfect cast spending most of the time looking erotic towards you, you hardly believe this story is realistic or even plausible. And this wouldn’t be a problem if, again, the general story was simple. But it ain’t. Military invasion, murderous ghosts and other world shaking events play less important that a spaced out look from Teito the pretty boy. So ok, it is a light series for aloof viewing but this is just too much.

There is no pay-off in the end either. It escalates for so many episodes before ending in a very boring and half closed way. You will probably yell “Where is the rest of it?” It is true that the manga continues further on but come on; it is just slice of life with some poorly inserted magic dressing that unfolds in a very slow and tiresome way, while focusing too much on erotic aesthetics. The scriptwriter is hardly trying.

CAST
[Pick the one you want to date]

Just like playing a date sim, the series is full of ero/moe archetypes you are suppose to like for their variety in looks and mannerisms and not because of their personalities. Let’s face it, most of the cast was useless to the plot altogether; yet, it was there just so you could pick your favorite amongst the drones. If you ask me, all the characters the series needed was Teito and Mikage (the main couple pair), any one of the priests and Ayanami the psycho military man. All the rest was just dressing and a bad one in terms of personalities. So, although they all LOOK great, very few actually offer anything; and even those few don’t actually blow your mind with their antiques. It’s less than a half-baked result as they have very little to offer in overall and the ending is too blunt to offer clear catharsis.

LEGACY
[Next please!]

Meh, this series doesn’t really offer anything new or refreshing or even remotely interesting if you are a seasoned viewer. The plot is snoring and the characters too generic. I understand it will feel a lot better for women (the target audience) and far worse to homophobic males (who have no reason to watch a series of pretty boys and devoid of girls in the first place). I for once have seen far better BL, or yaoi or fantasy/sci-fi blend.

Down to it, this series is a one-time time killer at best, and only if you are a yaoi fan with really low expectations. It will be forgotten soon under some pile of mediocre anime.

SUGGESTION LIST (and mind that I hate those a lot)
Vampire Knight
Kuroshitsuji

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 6/10
General Artwork 2/2 (very fantasy like)
Character Figures 2/2 (sexy gay people)
Backgrounds 2/2 (fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 0/2 (very bad)
Visual Effects 0/2 (cheap crap)

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Voice Acting 3/5 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 4/5 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)

STORY SECTION: 2/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 0/2 (loose)
Complexity 0/2 (none)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 0/2 (simple and open)

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 1/2 (typical)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)
Catharsis 0/2 (none)

VALUE SECTION: 2/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 0/3 (no reason to rewatch)
Memorability 2/4 (many good ideas but nothing to remember them about)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 2/10
Art 0/1 (looks lazy)
Sound 1/2 (nice songs)
Story 1/3 (many good ideas but poor handling)
Characters 0/4 (date sim cardboards)

VERDICT: 4/10

AngelBeatsYui's avatar By AngelBeatsYui on Mar 25, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

07 ghost was something I wouldn't normally watch but it was recommended to me so that is how I started watching it. The series (even though it was only based on the earlier chapters) kept quite close to the manga, I like it when they do it this way. So overall the story was good, bearing in mind the manga wasn't as developed as it is today. The animation was alright, over average, in my opinion.

The soundtracks were amazing, the opening in particular really got me hooked when I started watching this series. To be honest with you I could tell that I was going to be good as soon as I heard the opening. The characters I thought would of been more developed if they had made a second series (but they didn't). (Mikage was my favourite).

The only real problem I had was the ending, they left it wide open for another series but they didn't use it to make another one which is disappointing. So in the end I recommend it but keep in mind that the ending is left open, this is when you have to read the manga (highly recommend both manga and anime).

~AngelBeatsYui~

brewster6's avatar By brewster6 on Oct 13, 2009

Not bad...I would prefer something not so religion-based, but considering that it was, they still made it interesting.

Gard0n's avatar By Gard0n on Dec 18, 2012

I started watching this anime , just because I was bored. I must say that the first episodes were great! They were heartwarming and a begining to a great story. But after the main characer enters the ''church '' and from thereon tries to become stronger to save mikage. it was interesting for a couple episodes , but it BECAME BORING! THE LACK OF CONTENT was ENOURMOUS! as a girl , only the nice charactes kept me in there. I REGRET it . It was booring to be honest. Episodes could pass without anything happening - at all! THAT KILLED ME! from the start , i thought the story was amazing! but after 10 episodes it all got down in a slope , and the end is a total letdown! belive me , this anime is not worth it. But it is an o.k , medium anime if you only look after something that can keep you entertained because you have notthing else to watch at that moment :)

egon0044's avatar By egon0044 on Jun 9, 2013

The story is solid, all be it short and rather rushed near the end. The characters are good and kept me interested. I don't tend to like shows like this (kinda Shonnen -ai reverse harem like). They could have done much more with it, it ends rather abruptly. I also don't like it when anime use CG in place of drawing. Otherwise a great show.